APC Forum

Strobe rockets

keepkool79

I have never heard of anyone using that formula in rockets, probably worth a try though.

Also, what is a good whistle fuel for 5/8" rockets?

It depends on the spindle used, shorter spindle - hotter fuel (76/23/1/3), longer spindle - slower fuel 64/32/1/3.

Some info at bottom of Here

For my 1lb whistles i use a 85mm spindle with a base diameter of 10mm and a 1 degree taqper. These things are like bullets with a fast fuel, i use NaBenz and brown iron oxide as the catalyst.

Sorry for going off topic :rolleyes:

Edited by Sambo

There are a lot of variables here, but you may also want to consider drying your AP. All of the above suggestions could be potential culprits. I've heard of the BaSO4 issue on a few occasions before. It could be the use of vaseline over NC too. NC is said to be essential to the snapping of dragon eggs, so perhaps the same goes with strobe.

NC is said to be essential to the snapping of dragon eggs, so perhaps the same goes with strobe.

Nope, the opposite is true. Some had bad results with NC laquer, when they used vasoline the problem was solved.

Ever tried to make dragon eggs with vasoline? :P

As Mumbles said, make sure your AP and barium sulfate are completely dry before making them into strobe mix. That seems to be the cause of most quiet strobe. The frequency issue is due to both the particle size of your MgAl and of the AP. I prefer to ball mill the AP with the dichromate, and then vary the size or ratios of different sizes of MgAl to achieve the rate I want.

Yes, a club member put a few together and I got to sit down with him and go over their construction with him. I haven't made any yet but they look fun! They are called Lamparies (SP) and usually use Methyl or Ethyl alcohol in them.

Cool, were they this big?

There was another one, just like this one, that went up on a strobe motor.

3 Liters :D

post-1558-1253300241_thumb.jpg

Edited by psyco_1322

• 5 months later...

Is there any way I can get the helicopter sound effect as a ground effect? I mean I want it to stay on the ground and strobe and produce the helicopter like sound.

I'm talking about the AP/Silicone mixture by the way.

Anyone^^?

Also, can all strobe compositions be used to achieve the chuffing effect?

• 3 years later...
so thread revive here i hope someone reads this but am in the process of making some 3lb strobe motors lots of info on this thread thanks to all who posted but any more hints and tips picked up over the years would be helpful mainly want to know a good stating point for length for each fuel grain i.e. the whistle and the strobe and has anyone tried some hot ass bp with ti above the strobe grain

you're gonna run into a kno3/AP incompatibility if you try that, Lee. End up with a motor full o mush.

cheers cali wonder boy suggested a wafer of whistle above and then bp comp i am aware of the incompatibility just wasn't thinking about that question much at 2 in the morning

I've had stars with a KNO3 layer and an AP layer separated by a KP layer. They performed well after two years storage. I think a buffer will solve the issue. The oil/wax in the whistle should prevent ion transfer quite well.

• 2 weeks later...
It should not really cause an issue as long as your shoot the rocket with a day or so. The reaction is not something that happens instantly.