APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

I have some 20-60 mesh I could send you to try- not quite as fine as you're looking for though

Thanks but according to Lloyd I need to go finer with my metal. Do you know anything about the FeTi? I suppose I should read up on metals a bit more.

So far I've been going by Skylighter and Ned's tutorials and haven't ventured too far outside them or their material lists.

FeTi is an alloy of iron and titanium, it produces offwhite-yellow sparks- hobbychem has some for like 10/lb that works great in 1" gerbs.

It's also used in the famous "blond streamer" by David bleser

FeTi is an alloy of iron and titanium, it produces offwhite-yellow sparks- hobbychem has some for like 10/lb that works great in 1" gerbs.

It's also used in the famous "blond streamer" by David bleser

http://youtu.be/1lhvYtONtu0

Hmm..looks like something worth trying. I wonder if it will slag up my nozzles? If it was a lumen or two dimmer would be a plus. That titanium was almost too bright.

A week ago I made a 250gram batch of cut green stars. Unfortunately, I did the stupid thing of leaving them on the cutting block to dry, without separating them good enough. Soooo. today I got to break apart 250 grams of 3/16" (4.7mm) stars because they had dried in a block with simple score marks on the top :wacko:

today I spiked and pasted 11 shells then a ran out of paste, also made 4 3inch shells and spiked them. time is short !!!!!

memo

Mad just a small tip, if you run out of paste, a microwave will fix you up. Just stirr some flour into cold water, microwave for 1 min at 800 watts, stir short and microwave again for 30 secs. There you go paste is ready in under 3 min preparation time.

6 6mm spollets, 600 g stars primed, Coocking Dex! Gluing wads into 3" shells, NEED MORE TIME!!!!

Mad just a small tip, if you run out of paste, a microwave will fix you up. Just stirr some flour into cold water, microwave for 1 min at 800 watts, stir short and microwave again for 30 secs. There you go paste is ready in under 3 min preparation time.

the name is memo

got to make some sodium nitrate in the morning, time is getting short to dry everything

memo

Edited by memo

Made 50g of 1/4" cut willow stars, 24g of 1/4" cut C6 stars from some leftover comp, about to make some KNO3 white comp. Made some Peregrin gold basic meal fountain comp and tested it. It burns really hot and pretty slowly with a whitish flame and lots of hot dross. I tested my improved paraffin smoke comp, which I've been having problems with, and couldn't get it to light without the assistance of lots of hot dross. Too bad, because it used to light from Am. visco and a 1x2.5" tube full of it would burn for 2 minutes. :\

I'm feeling short on time. New Year's is in just over a week!

Made a few hundred grams of red and green microstars for a NYE cake. Knocked up a batch of AP strobe fuel, i did a quick test in a strobe pot and the flash rate looks to be around 7.5hz so i wont have to use it (aka dump it) as an expensive salute comp ;)

Col press them into tubes for making a fast strobe pot or take a sample of the batch and add 2% red gum. That will normally slow them down a little.

This is strobe rocket fuel,the pot was just to test the flash rate. Adding 2% red gum wouldnt make a difference, its mainly down to the MgAl mesh size and the purity of the barium sulphate.

Hand rammed a pile of titanium gerbs because my soon to be daughter-in-law demanded them. I only had thin wall tubes and my new brass shim stock hasn't arrived yet hence the hand ramming.

made some sodium nitrate.... didn't come out to well... the only castic soda I could get was a liquid base and no way the figure out the formula. tried drying it on a pie plate that was made from al. eat a hole in it real quick. back to a new formula. sure want those yellow stars.

memo

the only castic soda I could get was a liquid base and no way the figure out the formula.

----------------------------------------

Not true! You could safely assume that it was mostly water and the main constituent, and figure the concentration based upon its specific gravity.

Lacking that, you could have determined the pH, and indirectly calculated the concentration.

And more than likely, the ingredients list on the packaging would have given the concentration!

There's ALWAYS a way to get the proportions right.

Lloyd

Memo, a lot of the liquid lye drain cleaners have surfactants in them which won't dry. I would think granular sodium hydroxide would be easier to get.

Last time I was in Central America though we brought our own fireworks!

a lot of the liquid lye drain cleaners have surfactants in them which won't dry

------------

True enough, but they WON'T precipitate-out as crystals. If the material had been properly neutralized, it would no longer have been as corrosive as he indicated it was.

Lloyd

Properly neutralized? I just noticed that wasn't in the post. I'll bet it got hotter than Hades in that Al pie pan!

We use Al powder and liquid lye to boil stubborn grease from kitchen lines. It'll destroy pvc pipe and have it sagging like a cheap garden hose.

how the hell do you neutralied this stuff, I thought I was using too much castic soda base. didn't think the amunium nitate was converting

You'll need one of the more chemically adept members for that answer. All I can tell you is what doesn't work! Lloyd or Mumbles can probably help you out.

Edit: I found another thread that offers an alternate solution using sodium bicarbonate rather than hydroxide.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/7602-making-sodium-nitrate-from-ammonium-nitrate/

Edited by OldMarine