APC Forum

Where can i buy a ball mill

insutama

The rebel 17 only turns about 35 rpm with 35 lbs of lead in it. You have to hand start it I think and the motor probably wont last too long.. but... it is a Great base set up. just needs modifications.

You can spend a fortune on a good ball mill.

Here is my upgraded version.. yep they cost a lot by the time you work one over.. This hobby can be as expensive as golf!!

I don't know of anyone that sells a mill that is set up perfectly for what we do ( except this one)

New motor, new pully, new barrel rollers, raised rear rollers. 66 rpm, (which is perfect for this drum)

https://squareup.com/market/WoodysCreations/rebel-upgraded-complete-set-up-with-lb-lead

original.jpeg

• Like 1

You always can get the KT-2000 from china. It is set up to run at the right speed. Do not buy the smaller KT-6808 it turns to fast. But still after some time you will find yourself to either build a own mill or change over to a model b or rebel (take the rebel).

i have been using the harbor freight 6lbs one without any modification for the speed and i get good milled bp in 5 hrs cant get any finer its clumped in one big ball everytime and burns super fast :)

I like Thumlers Tumblers, I got two from eBay for about $99 each, both turn a full load of lead and chems without slipping.

Sorry, yes,they are model B tumblers. Both of mine are 1970's versions but work the same as new.

That wasn't quit what i meant. While i would like a Model B, or any of the similar models from other makers, it was mainly a means to be funny.

"B" - joking, so to speak.

Anyway, the type is great for our needs, but the size is counter productive for some hobbyists needs. I'd like to get one, but it would probably be the least used one, simply due to the amounts it swallows.

B!

Sorry B,didn't get that right of the bat. The best thing about the model B is that you can make a whole kilo at once.

No worries, it was a bad joke anyway.

About the kilo...That volume is also close to a bare minimum of charge you can run the mill with. You might get away with 800gr, and some extra wear on your media, but if you don't need, or don't feel comfortable with storing that much BP, you might have a problem if this is your only mill. But i do envy you, having two.

B!

I'm not making pyro with them, just raw chems. I'll combine the chems at my buddies and make bp there. A kilo is only good for a dozen or so rockets do it goes fast.

• 7 months later...

This appears to be the best thread I could find for this question. I'm already getting antsy over my HF ball mill's capacity so an looking to upsize soon. Has anyone had any experience with this tumbler?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15lb-Capacity-Rock-Tumbler-Heavy-Duty-Free-Grit-Kit-Complete-with-Instructions/261995101383?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D34225%26meid%3Db7def66c04c046f0a82154abc9d74109%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D380891867186

Capacity seems nice and adjusting the rpms appears easy enough. I don't have time to build one yet but I plan on it some day. Cheap but functional will do for now.

Yep, those used to be common place in pyro. The seller, hobfir, is short for Hobby Fireworks. Matt is a good guy, and the devices seemed well built. They can churn out black powder in a few hours. I generally let it run for 4hr starting from coarse materials. I had some clumping problems. Without needing to stop and break up clumps and caking BP, it probably wouldn't have taken quite that long. As a bonus, you can put your harbor freight jars on the mill, and it runs at around the optimal RPM. Great for smaller amounts of comp or grinding single chemicals. There is pretty minor maintenance too. Just an occasional wipe down, and oil on the bearings. I added a small felt furniture leg pad to one side to prevent the jar from rubbing against the frame.

My biggest issue was actually the jar, though it's actually a fairly minor issue. It's well built and seemed pretty resilient. There are just some spaces between the main pipe and the two fittings. They can be difficult to clean. This isn't really an issue if you're only milling black powder and similar compositions. Just kind of a pain if you ever want to grind white single chemicals. If you care about this, you can buy spare jars from him, or just make your own.

Thanks Mumbles, I think I'll give it a try especially since you said the HF jars would work on it as well. A friend at a local HF gave me several extra jars she'd saved from returned units.

Build you one like this. Less than $200.00.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dynomike1/20151030071701.jpg

This appears to be the best thread I could find for this question. I'm already getting antsy over my HF ball mill's capacity so an looking to upsize soon. Has anyone had any experience with this tumbler?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15lb-Capacity-Rock-Tumbler-Heavy-Duty-Free-Grit-Kit-Complete-with-Instructions/261995101383?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D34225%26meid%3Db7def66c04c046f0a82154abc9d74109%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D380891867186

Capacity seems nice and adjusting the rpms appears easy enough. I don't have time to build one yet but I plan on it some day. Cheap but functional will do for now.

The only problem i see is you cant go with a bigger jar.You know it takes a lot of powder if you do very much. I make enough powder to last me all year 4lbs at a time. I use ceramic media, lead just doesn't last long and it is hard on your motor/belt.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ceramic+balls+1%2F2%22&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R4.TR6.TRC2.A0.H2.Xceramic+media.TRS0&_nkw=ceramic+tumbling+media&_sacat=0

Edited by dynomike1

I use ceramic media, lead just doesn't last long and it is hard on your motor/belt.

I discovered that just tiny amounts of moist in the KNO3, will wear down the lead medias and contaminate the chemicals. :(

Well, I ordered the hobfir mill. I don't see me outgrowing it anytime soon, but I also didn't see me picking what is possibly the most addictive and expensive hobby ever.

Now onto presses!

Got my hobfir mill and some extra hardened lead media on the same day.

Gonna make pile-o-powder this weekend!

• Like 1