APC Forum

Aerial Shells

Chris

I will buy spanish shell to make this firework.I used safety fuse.I filled

the shell with my special report mixture (70% KClO4 + 30% AL = standard flash powder)but i will mix flash powder with smokeless powder 50/50 to make the loudest flash powder. :rolleyes:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• psyco_1322

• Pretty green flame

• qwezxc12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have run into a problem. I have an 1/8" thick spiral wound tube for a 3" shell. I am trying to glue the flaps down flat onto the end disc holding the time fuse. Pictures 3&4 of the 3" insert shell are exactly what I am talking about.

The paper is so thick that the flaps won't go down flat. I was thinking of soaking the flaps in wetted down PVA glue or maybe wheat paste untill they are workable. A ten pound weight won't even push them down sufficiently. Does anyone have an idea?

I use a mallet to ram them down a little, but don’t mess up the fuse. Them I apply glue and put the shell in a vice and let it dry make sure not to crush the fuse in the vice.

justanotherpyro,

I looked at pics 3 & 4. Then I re-read your description. It sounds like you are cutting the flaps on the 1/8" tube itself, and not in the paper around it?

*IF* that's what you're doing, that's not the way it's designed to be used. The end disc is designed to be glued onto the *end* of the 1/8" tube, not inside of it. Then you use 70 lb Kraft, two turns around the shell, and long enough to make the flaps you see in pic #3. Cut the flaps in the 70# Kraft, then fold them as shown.

If this is *NOT* what you meant, and you are using some form of Kraft paper around the shell like in the pics mentioned, then I can't see how you could even FIND paper thick enough to cause the problem you're describing.

Can you elaborate?

M

What you are saying sidewinder is good idea. The tube is not designed for anything but to hold paper towels. I will give that a shot though after I procure another tube.

Sounds good. One other thing you can do, if you have plenty of paper, is take 3 or 4 turns of 70# Kraft around the tube and paste it on heavily but evenly. Let dry, then trim off excess even with tube end. This will reinforce the towel tube. Glue on the end disk, then paste the shell with the larger pieces of Kraft to make the flaps like in the pics. Spike it, if and however you wish.

Post pics if you launch it. :D

M

Funny you say that as I will be getting a camera soon. Although my pyro is on hold because it is winter, school load is heavy, and I have no money for chems. I am experimenting with how to make things for when the above problems are fixed.

The beauty of the tube that I have is that it needs no reinforcment for the sides, only for the caps. Schools and offices have a cash of tubes thrown away every night if they use the older paper towel dispensers. When I happen to get my camera I will gladly post some pictures.

I use chrismas ball to make shell and i fill flash powder and i wrap all with 5 layer of craft paper.work well !!

You need to move beyond just report shells. Using plastic on them is just asking for trouble as well. The shrapnel will be a lot sharper, and fly a lot farther with it.

Yes that's righ is a real danger about shrapnel but heavy or thick plastic chrismas ball is more safe than glass chrismas ball or the best

shell is polyethylene hemisphere or for small shell is ping-pong ball with lot of kraft paper or kraft tape ^_^ is the cheap way but normaly

i use traditionnal paper ball.

Making my first 3 inch shell at the moment. Biggest thing I've done before is a 1-1/2 inch mini shell. Im making a dummy shell first, except its loaded with actual stars and break (but no fuse). This is so I can make sure its flameproof. I've finished spiking just gotta wait till the weekend when I can cook up some flour paste.

my biggest shell i made is 3" spherical shell and the effect is beautifull gold kamuro with gold tail.but sorry i have no pic about this :(

My first italian shell:

6 c"m OD

9 c"m long

150 gram aqwa_po stars.

http://hozt.net/thumb/20060222155737363214-custom.jpghttp://hozt.net/thumb/20060222155737288086-custom.jpghttp://hozt.net/thumb/20060222155736837568-custom.jpg

the movie:

http://www.pyroland.net/quest/movies/italian%20shell.wmv

BTW, the shell case weighed about 80 grams - is this sound logical for this measure of shell?

What kind of paper have you used for the casing? The orange coloured stuff. Nice video btw, and is tat a hand rolled Spoulette as delay?

Yofi Yofi. Nice shell. What I don't get is how Mosad doesn't come chasing you down when you light shells. Ever get any problems in Israel from this?

The orange paper is "Bristol paper". Since I can't get any cheap kraft paper here I use this paper mostly.

Yes, the Spoulette is hand rolled.

Kilo_G, I guess you don't really know what is the Mosad in here. Little children playing with fireworks won't really bother them. The police is more of a problem for this hobby, like in most of the countries.

I guess that if I would play with big amounts of HEs near settled areas, so maybe then the Mosad will notice me.

hey nice shell,i love the colors of the paper (bristol paper)and the method of placing the burst charge in a small cylinder.

nice job :D

yes i hope ^_^ but the previous video is a nice gold stars shell!!

is your video ?

yes i hope ^_^ but the previous video is a nice gold stars shell!!

is your video ?

Do you mean mine?

PGF, what size were those shells??

Coz they dont look very impressive.

small, 2" canisters.

Btw, please say why you think they don't look impressive, constructive critics are welcome not just "they look like crap" or similar, post like these won't help me improve things.

So what is is, the spread ??

I think alot of the problem lies with the camera, I know how poorly they can capture a firework. The spread would have looked alot better with a larger tail. I know it is hard to achieve a symetrical break with 2" canister shells, I see many asymetrical breaks even at proffessional displays using them.

How were the shells spiked? Have you got a photo of them?

I love in the vido how we can see the little flame retreating from the lit mortar :P