APC Forum

Altercation with neighbors

BurritoBandito

Good point Roger, I know my dogs would go for it.

Wristrocket with modeling clay ammo. Takes practice to learn to shoot without deforming the ball and causing erratic flight. It also doesn't work on intelligent animals because they laern what time of day to avoid the area. Found that out the hard way.

I had a neighbor with a basset hound, nicest lump of skin you could hop to meet. However he became a berserker around chickens. Wristrocket time, took less than a week to not see the dog again. Three months later I come home to carnage and that bastich sleeping in the middle of it having only eaten one leg out of the dozen. I took the dog to his owner, told him how he was going to compensate me. Then I asked him if the dog had its distemper shot and he asked why. My reply " I try to eat everything I shoot, I'll even try long pig if the situatons right but anyway the shot makes dog meat taste bad" never saw the little guy loose again. I also bet when he looked up long pig it helped me get my compensation a bit quicker.

What are the rules regarding shooting pet animals that gets into your property? I wouldn't be surprised if there are some stupid rules like if you shot someone's pet for getting into your property you'd be in trouble...

It's a felony charge here unless imminent danger to life is established. There is a cop serving 3 years for shooting two dogs that would not allow him access to a property he was called to .

where i am, if it is your own property, do what you gotta do. at least that's what the sheriff told me when he came out to investigate the repairs we had made to our gate and fence so we could get our animals back after brownie got loose and bit the ankle biter across the street. i asked him because when our dogs were impounded, the neighbor dogs took free reign on my property

It varies from place to place, but in many places if it is on your property and threatening you and/or your animals it is legal to shoot a dog. Again, this is when one comes onto YOUR property, not something like Dag's example where the dogs were on their own ground. The strange, stupid thing is, also in some of those places it is illegal to discharge a firearm in city limits, your ok to shoot the dog, you just get fined for the discharge. Choose your poison, lol.

I'd be sure to follow up with local law enforcement as to what recourse you can take with a "vicious" animal that is on your property before taking any actions.

It's a felony charge here unless imminent danger to life is established. There is a cop serving 3 years for shooting two dogs that would not allow him access to a property he was called to .

And in Detroit, LEOs shoot dogs because "It looked at me funny" same excuse has been successfully used to taze innocent people.

... and this is why I love america, if something like this ( what happened to BB) would have happened in mexico ( or any other 3rd world country) one of the dogs would've been dead already

In Mexico the cops are likely to cause trouble such as extorting bribes. If you complain about police brutality or corruption you might be murdered by the police and buried in a mass grave.

American cops may be jumpy but are unlikely to be corrupt.

If you shoot someone's dog in Mexico, you might get in trouble for having the gun in the first place, but of course a few pesos might make them shut up.