APC Forum

Altercation with neighbors

BurritoBandito

This morning I had the pleasure of breaking up a pit bull fight because my neighbors refuse to keep their dogs in their yard. I was on my way out the door heading to physical therapy when I heard the dogs fighting. Their full grown pit had broken into my dogs fenced in area.

The neighbors came over and watched as I tried to separate the animals. Now I don't know if you've ever had to break up a dog fight, but it's no easy task, especially when one of the dogs is a "stranger" to you. I felt bad to do so, because it is not the dogs fault that his owners will not keep him contained, but in order to prevent them from killing each other I had to kick their dog in the throat.

The owners of the dog made no effort to help separate them. I can understand that they may have been afraid of the situation, because let's face it, it's dangerous to get involved when two big dogs are fighting, but what really set me off was when the owner told me that she had no idea how her dog got loose. Around once a month I have to return their dog to their yard and ask them to restrain it.

My wife was angry, because I did not sugar coat my resentment for them allowing this problem to persist time and time again. I told them that I would be taking my dog to the vet, and that they would be paying the bill. She feels that since they are our neighbors it is in our best interest to maintain a cordial relationship. My feelings on the matter are that if their dogs are not contained they pose a risk to my family.

What are your feelings on the matter, and how would you have addressed the situation? Would you try to make amends with the neighbors for using explicit language in the situation? Would you have them pay for the damages to the fence? Right now my dogs are being tethered to keep them contained. Tethering is illegal in my state. The neighbors could easily report me for it, but since their dogs damaged my fence I have no other options. Jeezy creezy, what would you guys do?

Edit: By the way, aside from a few lacerations and hematomas both dogs seem to be fine. I have to clean my dogs wounds twice a day with chlorohex solution, and give him antibiotics/painkillers. He will have a followup apt. in two weeks.

Edited by BurritoBandito

Sheesh!, BB. I've always heard spraying a water hose on 'em will break up a fight. I dunno? As far as the fence goes, you'll have to keep your dog tied up until repairs are made. Keep any and all receipts related the event just in case things go real sour. I would also file a report with the county animal control agency in your area.

Pit bulls have a bad rep, sometimes deservedly so. Animal control may be interested in any animal that could endanger other animals, including humans.

Water was the first thing I tried. It didn't seem to bother either dog one bit. The problem is that they want to compete for the alpha position. I really don't blame the dogs at all. They're animals, and were just following their instincts. I don't want to get animal control involved unless I absolutely have to. With my dogs tethered I'd actually get fined 1500 dollars (500 per dog). Also, I really don't want their dog to be taken away. I just wish they'd keep him in their yard. Hopefully the two vet bills will encourage them to do so.

I'm amazed you speak to your neighbors after something like that. I'd have my legal representatives bring them the paperwork, charging them for legal fee's, repairs, veterinarian bills, and the cost for taking the dog(s). If it was repeated, i'd go to court to have the dog taken away from them. Talking to them my self would just end with me in jail, or worse.

B!

This is the first time their dogs have gotten in with mine. Generally they just run along the fence and bark. I did have my concerns about loosing it when taking them the vet bill, but I maintained my composure. If they neglect to pay for it then there may be a very different situation. They did accept the bill and agree to pay it. No money was given, or expected at the time. I'll give them a week or so to make good on their word before I pursue it any further.

Unfortunately I am on the other side of this. I live in the county and there are no leash laws here. My dogs hunt at night and have had free run of the neighborhood for almost 7 years. All of our neighbors know my beasts and like them just fine. They are sweet and protective of kids. Then some people move out here from the city and bring two ankle biters with them. They refuse to fence the property like every other person out here but put shock collars on their dogs. They're foul tempered and confrontational. When their owners turn the base off the little punks come into my yard and get chased out by my dogs. Brownie caught one and hurt it and their redneck (dirty word) owner came in front of my property swearing her sick mouth off and brandishing a firearm in front of my 12 year old nephew threatening our family. My dogs end up in the pound for two weeks and we get slapped with $800 in fines to get them back. And that (choice metaphor) gets off with nothing. Its a bit of a painful subject and I think there is right and wrong on both sides but we got the short end of the stick. I just don't think it's entirely fair that we have to change our lives to protect the kind of people we left the city to get away from.

Rogeryermaw, I also live in the sticks. You're situations sounds a bit different than mine was. Their dog came into my dogs territory, and it was all downhill from there. I can't help but feel that it's negligent to allow a pit bull to roam free. That's why I keep mine in a fence. Some of my neighbors have cows, horses, chickens, etc. Some have cats, and some have children, myself included. It's unfair for us to have to worry about our animals, because they don't want to keep theirs under control. Had my dogs been running loose to then I would be more understanding. Dogs fight, I get that, but for her dog to destroy my property and injure my dog, and be injured itself, is not acceptable. I would honestly take their dog in and care for it. Had they not been there to do so I'd have taken him to the vet to. I just can't understand why they would allow this to happen. Both dogs were hurt, and it all stems from lack of responsibility.

I live in the sticks, and in the past have had problems with a neighbor's dog. Usually I don't care about random dogs wandering through, but this one kept coming back, acted aggressively towards people and livestock, and wasn't easily chased off. I talked to our constable and made clear if the dog showed up again and began acting aggressively, I'd shoot the animal. He relayed that information to the dog's owner. Oddly enough, it was never a problem again.

Kevin

Edited by Nessalco

I don't own animals any more as I simply travel too much. Got a good amount of history though.

I'd call BS on the the owner saying "I don't know". Sure she does. Probably let it out herself to crap so she doesn't have to clean up. Most problem animals are reflective of their owners. I've experienced some incredibly well trained attack animals that literally let you have the run of the property without feeling threatened at all. God help you though if you open the storm door or touch a window. On the flip side there's the obnoxious, yappy, nipping, run all over the place pieces of fur that only demonstrate what of a lack of discipline looks like.

They absolutely need to pick up all the expenses, vet, fence and anything else. A good neighbor would offer, shouldn't have to ask.

Your reluctance to call AC is understandable. Despite that, it would be a good conversation to have with your neighbor in that this should not EVER reoccur. It shouldn't be a nasty conversation, you seem like a more than reasonable fellow, but it really needs to happen instead of just hoping. Most folks are more diligent if they know there will be consequences.

Some sort of electricity might be a good investment; fencing could effective but not so great if you've got kids around or, say something like a cattle prod for future interventions. Depending on their response to the conversation, I might even adopt Kevin's solution.....

Your word, "unacceptable", covers it. Make sure you neighbor understands.

Good luck!

Edited by otto

Well if you can get into trouble for putting your on a leash in the garden, i first would repair the fence.

As your neighbors allready accepted to pay for your expenses, just make sure they do and get together with them for a talk to make sure they will fence their own property to keep the dogs out. If they do so all god, if they keep going like before make sure to be on the safs side of the law and then decide yourself if you want to push legal claims against letting their dogs out out or not.

I've never heard of fines being levied for keeping a dog tethered. Usually, it's the other way around.

The dogs owner brought a check today to pay for the bill. We had a brief conversation in which they apologized, and told me that they will be keeping their dog inside. They asked how mine was doing, and seemed to be genuine in their concerns. I am not one to hold grudges. They took responsibility for the incident, and assured me that their dog will be properly restrained going forward. All is forgiven.
  • Like 1

Glad it all worked out for the best. Next time I spout off with knee jerk response, just pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. :)

So they are good neighbors, just poor dog owners. Shouldn't have happened in the first place, and i sure couldn't just shrug it off like that. But as long as everyone involved is happy, i guess it's fine.

B!

Try to avoid blaming this on the fact that it's a pitbull... all breeds are capable of this. I think getting the law involved is dumb too. Next time it enters your yard with the intent of harm, shoot it. Problem solved.

Edit: just saw your latest post, glad you resolved the issue like gentlemen.

Edited by ddewees
  • Like 1

MrB, I forgive, but I don't forget. Holding a grudge does no good. You're right it shouldn't have ever happened, but they can't change the past. I know it wasn't their intention, and they are trying to make things right. At this point that's all I can expect from them.

I am glad your neighbors turned out to be decent people. It was their responsibility and their fault and you did nothing wrong. It's sometimes difficult to keep good relations afterwards but it is so much better (unless of course the situation repeats itself). Holding a grudge, being mad and vengeful is actually pretty easy. It's much harder to forgive and be decent, polite and nice trying to keep good relations with neighbors. You did the right thing and it took guts to do so. Kudos to you. Good work.

Thanks Jameson.

Hi BB,

I use vinegar in the eyes of the dog while biking, I carry an extra water bottle. It stops them quick and does no permanent damage. For dogs that won't stay away from our home after we have tried to strongly encourage them not to return with water spray or vinegar, a pellet gun on low pressure( you decide how many pumps) works well in the hind quarters.

Matt

My mom was having trouble with a neighbors dog comin and shittin on the lawn and just being obnoxious, she tied a piece of cardboard to it with "keep me home or I'll get shot" written on it. Did the trick

Mkn, if the dog returns I'll try your approach, if that fails I'll try Wildcherry's. Edited by BurritoBandito
  • Like 1

I always had trouble with dogs chasing me when I bike... it scares me because usually there's a bunch of them at the same time.

May not be a bad idea to carry some pepper spray with you just in case. Mkn's vinegar suggestion is good, but if it were a situation where attack was immenant, I'd rather use something a little stronger.

Edit: "Glad it all worked out for the best. Next time I spout off with knee jerk response, just pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." :lol: Will do.

Edited by BurritoBandito

just throw smoke bombs BB! i have to lock my dogs up every time i light anything. i haven't met the dog that won't chase a lit fuse.

• Like 1