APC Forum

Tube Roller - 4oz - 1 # and 3 # or more

mkn

HI All,

I took a video of the roller at the beginning of this post in action.

In it I used wallpaper paste as that was handy at the time, I have used Elmer's at 70/30, Casein glue as well as this wallpaper glue. I have rolled straight off the Kraft roll ( perpendicular to grain) and in this video I am rolling parallel to the grain ( cut a length off the roll and turn it 90 degrees)

I am using serial roll in the video, but you can use calendar just as easy. My paper is recycled Kraft, easily available at most stores compared to virgin Kraft.

The purpose of this was to fill a void with the closing of NEPT. It is an easy build for folks with some basic skills. The Recycled Kraft is available everywhere, the glues are various, the tube length here is 24 inches, could be more if you want. I have rolled 4 oz, 1# and 3# tubes. The easiest is to roll straight off the roll and a bead of glue in front of the roll( not shown in video) There is much debate on the best tube in terms of paper quality, glue , grain direction and every variable imaginable within those parameters.

Currently there are a few folks looking into lower pressures on the composition combined with waxed tubes, and spindles , in terms of motor reliability in which recycled kraft with most glues will suffice, or spiral wound tubes. So far the motors are working well, long term storage of the motors before use is still unknown at this time.

So far I feel that I have kicked the commercial tube habit and "roll my own" with confidence.

ahh yes those were the days......

Here is a low pressure ( 2,000 on the comp ) Sali whistle 4oz with a 350g sandbag header. I'm testing the low pressure and the weight for a 4" ball shell. I have 32g of sticks on the motor as well. Vid was with a gopro, hard to see the rocket, but I follow it and apx 9 to 10 second flight, puts it up over 300'. Motor was not stored more than 24hrs.

Hi Matt

The video highlights how much effort goes into applying the glue and getting the first turn around the mandrel ;)

Heres a tip, find a length of 1/4" rod a bit longer than the paper width. Place the mandrel on the bottom rollers with the paper underneath with enough sticking out for the first turn. Use the rod to guide/press the full length of the paper edge over the top of the mandrel and down into the nip point in one operation. Once the paper is in the nip, the rod will hold it in place. Leave the rod in position (in the nip) while you roll the tube.

You`ll find getting the first turn on is very easy this way and you`ll get a much better seal than folding the paper over, which carries the risk of an unglued void.

Edited by Col

Sounds Good, I'll give it a try !

What I like about the fold over is that the glue is easily applied, and has less of a chance coming in contact with the mandrel, sometimes leading to a stuck tube. Also is quite easy to make sure that edge is firmly glued to the inner windings. The added benefit is the by squaring up the edges of the fold, the paper is virtually square and rolls the tube with little over / under roll on the ends, the cones that form when paper is not square to the mandrel.

The glue- yes the wallpaper glue is time consuming, but I have found that if a stuck tube happens, the tack time is so long that I can unroll that sheet, and reroll with out wasting the glue or paper. Casein is similar in application, but a faster tack then the wallpaper glue and a stuck tube is ruined and wasted. The Elmer's at a 70 / 30 is the easiest to apply as a bead of glue can be applied to the crease of the roller and paper, then roll and add to the bead as is consumed.

So many ways to skin the cat....so far my tubes get the weights in the air that I need, 4oz with sali lifts 350g and 1# with BP lifts 580g

Free of the commercial tubes !!! quite liberating, making tubes, making coal, making my own rocket tools, comet tools and star press and so on... :)

Cant beat the option of rolling tubes as you need them, a single roll of kraft will convert into any and all tube id`s.

A piece of acetate will protect the mandrel as you put glue on the outside of the flap, just slide it inbetween the paper and mandrel then brush the glue upwards towards the end of the paper that will end up in the nip.

Give the rod method a go on a few tubes and compare the roundness to a few that used the fold method, you should notice the difference. The 1/4" rod will be ok for 1/2" and 3/4", for larger ids the rod should be around 1/3rd of the mandrel diameter.