APC Forum

How long should you mill your BP for?

MWJ

I do each chemical in a coffee grinder for 1-2 mins then 30seconds in coffee grinder together, I make about 10-20 grams at a time. I only make small rockets so I dont need much.

Im pretty confident with the coffee grinder and it make bp that is much faster than the one in the video

I see what you're thinking, it's only 10-20 grams. Which isn't a huge amount.

Ever fired a 3"? The lift is normally around 20 grams. have you seen and heard that BANG it makes? If you haven't, try it out. If you have, you will stop milling BP already.

• 2 weeks later...

@skipflashboom

Hey guys! I've been making BP for a couple years now. About 10 oz at a time.

I made my own ball mill and use small chunks (.5" square) of aluminum for media.

I test my BP by launching baseballs out of a 3" tube. 5 oz baseball .5 oz BP

A 4 hour mill goes 20 feet.

A 20 hour mill will launch a baseball 300 feet plus!

My recipes ask for dextrin but I get much stronger powder without it...

Sounds like heavier media would work faster?

Any concerns about using aluminum as a grinding media?

I use the aluminum chunks to grind aluminum powder as well...

Anybody else launch baseballs?

I'd love to hear some feedback on this, Thanks!

Everyone does.

Yes.

B!

I wouldnt use aluminium for media as theres a risk of generating some fine Al powder. I`d get really bored waiting 20 hours for a batch of BP, best to use lead or alumina/ceramic.

I use 1/2in ball lead media with a 76rpm ball mill and can make great meal in 4 hours.Good enough for ma anyway..Its not the fastest but it is pretty darn fast.

@skipflashboom

I made my own ball mill and use small chunks (.5" square) of aluminum for media.

It's called a ball mill for a reason...you mill with BALLS, not cubes. Get some lead balls, your 4 hour bp should be much better. Milling for 20hrs is just retarded.

@skipflashboom

The problem with media other than spheres is that the flats make contact more often than the small points on the corners while balls always create a small pinch area every time they hit each other, no other shape is as efficient.

The problem with media other than spheres is that the flats make contact more often than the small points on the corners while balls always create a small pinch area every time they hit each other, no other shape is as efficient.

Rods get close. Rods, and lifter bars can make for an amazingly effective mill. But it needs a bit of size. Hardly worth it on a "hobby" level. And while rods get close, i think the main advantage is making a more uniform particle size, balls will always be faster. Thats just my impression tho...

B!

My impression of Rods is that they do a much better job of the initial crushing and pulverize in to smaller pieces faster than any other method. At that point balls become much more efficient in striking smaller particles to make them fine as dust. Rods certainly have their place and in some ball mills may reduce particle size down to a size usable in most compositions while balls do so quicker and with less heat.

• 2 weeks later...

I do each chemical in a coffee grinder for 1-2 mins then 30seconds in coffee grinder together, I make about 10-20 grams at a time. I only make small rockets so I dont need much.

Im pretty confident with the coffee grinder and it make bp that is much faster than the one in the video

Firstly, Screw that noise....O_o

Second, I've only ever used ball media. I will have to try the rods...

http://www.mypixshare.net/files/img/user_uploads/displayimage.php?id=6atmydz03ssg4944240.gif

I mill for about 2.5-4hrs. Depending on if I remember about it. Never had a issue with my rocket.

Is it possible to clean out my mill and my lead media? Haven't milled anything in a year. Want to clean it out before starting again in 2 weeks.

I mill for about 2.5-4hrs. Depending on if I remember about it. Never had a issue with my rocket.

Is it possible to clean out my mill and my lead media? Haven't milled anything in a year. Want to clean it out before starting again in 2 weeks.

You should try hot soapy water.