APC Forum

lead media?

fight fire with fire

I asked before, got no answer:

can I use Aluminium tube filled with lead and cut to pieces or are there any disadvantages?

/\

|

|

Please, that question is quite important for me, before i can start actually assemble the ball mill. If it's possible to use aluminium tube, the ball mill might be free for me to make.

My ball mill will be constructed so the motor is under the jar with a wood plate to seperate, and there will also be a cooler for the motor (300w 220v that will be geared a lot down ofcourse ;) )

Fill an Aluminum tube with lead?

You could if you wanted to I suppose. Aluminum is a pretty soft metal too though so you might have a problem with it wearing down in the future, but it should last a while.

What's the melting temperature of Aluminum? If you pour hot lead down a tube would it melt the Aluminum? That's the only thing I'd be worried about.

I wouldn't let the grinding media stop you from constructing the ball mill though, you can build that while you're still looking for the correct media to use.

Lead melts a few hundred degrees below aluminum.

The thing with aluminum is that I would be afraid of the Al-Nitrate reaction whenever I was milling KNO3, and it possibly causing immature ignition, or at least decrease in quality. I don't believe Al sparks, but it's rather reactive for my tastes.

• 5 months later...

For that price you can get like 400 lead w\ 5% antimony from pyrocreations.com which are pretty damn hard...

I use .54 caliber (.53" diameter) lead balls from a muzzle loader and my black powder comes out great...