APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

yay post office called me , they found my box , and as a bonus my box from cannon fuse is there as well , now i just need to wait till friday for ups to drop off my box from phils

well wtf , i got my box from pyro creations , but now they say my box from cannon fuse isnt there when tracking states it is

just made batches of white, N1 , TT, and a modified TT stars, its only midnight now so i might make a some more lift/burst powder while im at it

Been running both mills all day today. Got 5lbs of rocket BP, 8lbs of lift and burst BP and several pounds of various chems reduced to baby powder consistency. Waiting to mill the phenolic last since it'll take a while to clean up the jar and media afterward. I have 3 jars with media for my Hobfir mill so I have time to wash and dry everything between runs. I'm using homemade lead/antimony media in these jars and I think I should have used more antimony as I'm noticing wear on the media that I'm not seeing on that I purchased ready made.

Today I replaced all of the 'desiccant' silica gel packs with fresh 'dessicans' packs, and am recharging the old ones in the oven. I have them labeled and packaged in kraft paper envelopes so that they eventually return to the same chemical containers (to avoid dangerous cross contamination). The Florida climate is atrocious, but often helps with static by keeping the relative humidity high. When I weigh them, I'm amazed as to how much weight they've gained, just from their rather short opening/closing window, and the introduction of moisture. A few of the 300 gram ones picked up 10% or more weight over the past year! I like my KNO3 and Ammonium salts dry and free flowing.
  • Like 1

Petey,

I seldom use them, except for the few active metal chlorides I keep. I find that proper drying of chemicals, followed by proper bagging and sealing in lid-seal buckets is all that's necessary.

And that's mostly only for nitrates. All the other chems (like chlorine donors, metals, etc.) only require to be kept in sealed buckets.

And I'm in Florida, too! (about 70mi south of Jax).

Lloyd

• Like 1

I recently got in on the baggie-buy and am tickled to death with these heavy bags. The large ones will fill one of my Rubbermaid tubs to capacity and I no longer need the silica packs. I found some can liners for 5 gallon buckets I plan to use once I get all of my charcoal dried. They have an adjustable clamp seal so I can reduce the empty space or just squeeze it out like on a Ziploc bag.

for the last 30 days i have not done any pryo, been sick. i cannot believe a inflamed stomach and intestines can nock someone so low, didn;t eat for anything for 4 days and then very little for. 6 more days. talk about pain. never want to be hat sick again. on a positive note I did loose 25 # bringing my total weight drop since the first of the year to 56 # 40 more to go.

memo

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're still kicking Memo! I swear I'd rather have a broken arm than an abdominal infection. I got an E-coli infestation a few years ago which isn't surprising since I'm a plumber and I was on the throne crying for a week and a half. I almost wouldn't wish that on my first ex-wife.

disposed of some left over flash after this weeks shell making binge, ill shoot the canister shells tom night if its not raining

Dampened and re-granulated a few lbs of BP since I had more -4 +8 than I'd ever use since I switched to BP coated hulls for lift and burst for everything over 3". Went for all -8 +20 and some spollette powder this time so I can use it in 2" and down sized shells. Made up a batch of hot BP+2% dextrin for coating more hulls. I sure wish I had a cement mixer roller to use for this because it makes it super simple and I could turn out enough to last months in an afternoon. It's on the list and I'm getting closer!

in the middle of building a 3x5 glitter canister , with 2x silver horse tail rising effects

something ive been wanting to try for a while

Edited by RiderX

horse tail = fail , no ignition on the visco , i thought that may happen as the cyls are a darn good fit in the tube , next try ill use time fuse and cross match them

for the last 30 days i have not done any pryo, been sick. i cannot believe a inflamed stomach and intestines can nock someone so low, didn;t eat for anything for 4 days and then very little for. 6 more days. talk about pain. never want to be hat sick again. on a positive note I did loose 25 # bringing my total weight drop since the first of the year to 56 # 40 more to go.

memo

Ok, actually this made me happy now, BECAUSE: I first read “instantly for 3 times“ that you wrote 30 YEARS,, which made me sad at first... and then happy after reading it correctly at the fourth time :)

Btt: I made a small batch meal, Which is actually drying after screening for Lift-loads

First bit of pyro I've managed to do this year - made a 200g batch of whistle rocket fuel, 76-KP:23-K Benz:1-Coppy Oxy +3 Pet Jelly.

Vaseline dissolved in 40ml Coleman fuel, kneaded to an even consistency and screened through 16 mesh, currently drying on sheet of paper.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/Whistle%20Mix.jpg

I've been neglecting my 14mm whistle rocket tool...

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/Whistle%20Rocket%20Tools.jpg

Not had chance to make any stars, just going to rattle some windows with some nice loud reports :D

• Like 2

I've FINALLY broken ground on my new pyro shed. Not quite sure if this counts as a pyro activity but it's a step forward towards my dream. Ever since a tree crushed my old shed last winter I've had all my supplies jammed into my lawn shed and all Building has been done outside.

With winter coming fast I've decided I need to turn that pile of building material into a useable shed. So today I cleared a 12'×16'area and shoveled in gravel for the foundation piers. I used paving stones then special concrete blocks designed to hold the rim plates. Tomorrow I plan to get the floor and walls built.

I'm excited about this and I've procrastinated long enough.

Jason

Got some clean-up to do in the fern field. A pyro climate-controlled shed looks a bit swollen too.(maybe 936 millibars sucked the life out of it).

Almost found myself agreeing with Scotty from FW on the PITA factor of small crossettes today. Pressed up 8 ozs each of 3 different comps to have some ½" stars to play with and about halfway through I was ready to throw the pump in the scrap bin. Happily I persevered and got 'er done with some additional 1¾" versions (3 each) to boot. One comp is phenolic bound so I can try some tomorrow.

Mama Ofca White and child, a still life:

post-20116-0-08394300-1506193659_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

If you hate small XX, then you'd have LOVED my life for over 12 years! I pressed 1100-8800 3/4" crossettes every week for that entire time!

Yeah... It can weary a soul... Then... there's LOADING them! <BSEG>

Lloyd