APC Forum

Mass sequential rocket launch

Arthur

Given that I have about 5000 small rockets in my store, which are unspectacular fired singly, what is a good/ the best way of launching these as a sequence.

They are too small to fit each with an igniter, I have access to all the usual pyro stuff (QM, Visco, BM etc). Obviously it will not be zero cost but something low cost would be great.

I'd like to fire them in flights of 50 to 500, sadly there are not enough for a record attempt.

How small is "small"? Are the bottle rockets or larger consumer skyrockets? Assuming you have the space for a few errant rockets, small bottle rockets can be launched out of a piece of pegboard framed and supported with legs tall enough for the stick to be off the ground. Just push the stick through the hole in the pegboard and lay the fuse on the top so the exhaust from a lifting rocket will light other fuses. The effect will build in intensity over time.

Larger rockets will need individual tubes. PVC supported in a frame works well and you can use a length of QM for the flight. Here is my video from the PGI Rocket Rodeo in 2012 which shows the prepped racks. This method works great for rockets that are probably 1/2" ID and bigger.

PGI 2012 Rocket Rodeo:

• Like 1

If they are bigger then the normal skyrockets, just use a double pegbord, with about 10cm (4") space between them. This way the rockets will get guided enough to give a straight fly

If you want to do a few mass launches, you could take a coffee tin, 5 gallon bucket, or other container, drill a hole in the bottom, dump in some BP and then fill with the rockets. The BP lights all of them at once and they shoot out of the bucket creating a dome of sorts.

WB