APC Forum

Undesired Orange Color in Stars

hindsight

I generally try to stay away from Blue's with metals, Niladmirari. They tend to wash out my Blues too much. However, maybe 1-2% of MgAl wouldn't hurt too much if you really want to brighten it.

I think I found the posts from 50AE that were being referred to before.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/6756-fuel-value/

One on phenolic in general. A fuel value is calculated based on the formula in the title.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/6379-phenolic-resin-c48h42o7/

If you look at the numbers, you'll find that phenolic resin has a stronger oxygen demand than sulfur, so you only need .415g of phenolic resin to replace 1g of sulfur. You'll also need .53g of phenolic resin to replace 1g of dextrin. It looks like I over estimated the fuel some, which might be to blame for the slight orange halo. Replacing 4g of dextrin and 6g of sulfur would only require 4.61g of phenolic resin total, plus whatever additional fuel value the extra parlon adds. You do want the flame somewhat fuel rich, but not too much.

Thanks. Just reread the thread about fuel values. 50AE gives the following : PVC 0.78, Shellac 0.43, Red Gum 0.5, Dextrin 0.844. His refresher on how to use stoichiometry to get Oxygen content for KClO3 helps me to get the Oxygen value for KClO4. Your equivalents of Phenolic for Sulphur and Dextrin are also helpful. While stoichiometric calculations for you are second nature, it requires some cleaning of intracranial cobwebs for me.

Most formulas which use Phenolic resin have between 5-10%, and the amount recommended by a few experienced individuals I have read is 7%.

Practically, then, if I kept the Phenolic at 7, would it be best to reduce the Sulfur and are there other consequences of reducing the Sulphur (like burn rate, or color)? Parlon is, I assume, fuel and Chlorine donor, while aiding some in the binding consistency of the star.

I have a feeling that this is an overly complex formula to be trying this with due to the sulfur. Even for a chemistry nerd like me, it's hard to wrap my head around entirely. There are just so many different outcomes for sulfur to do accurate modifications. All of these stoichiometries are balanced to produce KCl and SO2. This isn't necessarily the case. Sulfur is specifically in there to encourage chlorine liberation and the formation of potassium sulfides, sulfites and sulfates.

Parlon is a chlorine donor and to some extent a fuel. It however won't affect the binding if you use alcohol as a binder. Ketones or aromatic solvents are needed to dissolve it.

Well, the formula in post #12 above works and is easy to make, so perhaps I'll attempt to fine tune it after working on some of my other failures. Your help has advanced my understanding and progress, thanks.

Edited to correct English

Edited by hindsight

Thanks to everyone who has input to this thread as I am also working on rolled blue stars. I still have many blowing blind even after working with various primes so this thread gives me options to try.