APC Forum

Blue Tests

nater

Be very careful that your camera gives the effect that you see, and try to shoot the stars from a star gun as lots of stars burn differently when flying through the air.

I had some nice blues from a variant on Pihko blue KPerc and hexamine with copper oxide, red gum etc in our UK blues competition it was beaten only by something similar but using Ammonium Perchlorate. The Hexamine fuel makes a big gassy flame that is cool enough to maximise the production of blue light.

• Like 1

You are right about needing to see stars in the air. My intention is to shoot the comps I am working on in small mines along with a few C6 + 15% FeTi stars to give a gold backdrop which should help the blue stand out. When I make a comp, I do like to burn a little comp and a few stars in the ground just to make sure the color is close to what I am aiming for. For blue, I am looking to avoid the red tipped flame I have experienced in the past, which I seem to have done. Now I will see which looks the best in the air and tweak it more from there to get the shade I want.

Beautiful nater, just saw it in FW. Can't wait to see it in the air... Very interesting to see.

Hope you share the comp at some point :)

Yes, it uses easily available chemicals and nothing too poisonous. I plan on comparing the same comp made with potassium chlorate and perchlorate as well. I will share more when I see them in the air and decide on a winner.

Any plans for an AP formula?

Also, you should keep the formulas confidential, so that it doesn't influence the spectators/judges (I assume that was your plan though).

Edited by ddewees
  • Like 1

No plans for AP, since I use chlorate, I don't keep AP around. I know some who use both, keeping separate tools and exceptional housekeeping to avoid any cross contamination, but I choose one or the other.

I would be interested in seeing the results with AP from others. For now, my tests will only involve chlorate / perchlorate and nitrates for other colors.