APC Forum

3 " ball shell Violet round stars with homemade hemis

mkn

#3" ball shell Veliene Round Violet stars ( fence post prime) BPCRH burst with 1.8g flash. Lift was BPCRH made with home made pine charcoal, what a difference with that charcoal ! great height, nice round break, very happy with it, now just need to make more...

apx 3 bp to 1 rh I should weigh them each time, but they seem to take up the same amount of powder each time I make them, a double batch of BP to a volume of hulls. This was the first time I used them for lift, I loved the ease of them for lift ! I plan to use them for lift for now till I find a reason not to. So I will take better measurements

Possibly some did not light, but with fence post and the break was not that hard, I would suspect that some flat spots in my homemade hemis maybe causing the voids in the sphere. I made them with paper Mache and it is difficult to get them to dry spherical. That's all a best guess anyway. I'm going to get some commercial hemis soon and rule out that variable. Quite psyched now with my pine charcoal BP !! down side is that my hand rammed rockets are cato 50 - 75 % of the time from no "0" cato with my old powder, quite frustrating......always something to work on and improve.... Matt

Edited by mkn

Yes newspaper Mache, Very nice shell VP !!!

Possibly a larger ball shell 4.5 " vs 3" allows more stars to be filled. More stars helps to fill in all areas and if a few go blind they would be less noticeable. I would also guess that a 3" being smaller would magnify any imperfection's in star sizes, loading and shape of the shell. Possibly my stars were a touch too large for the ball size ? thereby increasing the void areas ? If I had my same break with more smaller stars some of those areas would be filled in better I think.

Are your stars screened to size? I picked mine out of the bag for ones that were similar size. I have more of those violet, I will try and screen them for size and use the smallest ones for more fill.

I sure would like to build some shells with a few of you experienced builders, I would bet I could pick up a few nuances that I can't get from reading !

Matt