APC Forum

shop press

Mike

Well i forgot to mension that the cylinder has two rings witch are srewed on. One thick that goes under the plate to take the koad and one small for countering. The question now is, do i just need to drill a hole inside the top plate or does the it need to have turnings so that thecylinder can screwed in?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave,

You see any need for getting a cylinder larger than 3" diameter? I think I might go down the cplmac route, and start making 3" ID rockets... but don't want something ridiculously large. He seemed to be able to get away with moderately low pressures on his motors.

SORRY! I missed this post. A 3" cylinder with a 2500 PSI pump is enough for a 3" ID rocket BARELY and with lots of dwell time. The problem becomes one of materials, comp, tooling and accepting CATO's. Start small, 5/8" or 3/4" and go from there. This is not a race to the biggest rocket motor one can make, take your time and enjoy the art.

I understand... Not trying to win any races, just had a lot of tubes in that size, and considered using them for that.

Decided a 3.5" x 16" would work better for me. Thanks for the reply though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

What do you think about this press. The high is sufficient and I'm not sure if it is better than an H Frame one or not (i can't get A-Frame)

post-18011-0-90053200-1402856195_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike

Looks like an h frame got chopped in half. Looks interesting, I've never seen one like that before.

• 2 weeks later...

Sry for hijack.

While i read this thread i thought about how much force a 1 ton arbor press can apply.

And now I'm not sure if i did an fault or not.

1 ton equal to be 2205 lb of force. So if applied to a 3/4 rocket, these 9808 N are applied to about 0.441 squareinch. This results in 5000 psi being applied to the comp. So now i was wondering is this enough for a 1 pound bp rocket?

If these would be applied to a 15 mm rocket a force of about 7890 psi would be applied to the fuel. This should allready be enough for a whistle right?

Edited by schroedinger

1 ton will be 2000lbs or 2205lbs of force depending on if they use imperial or metric ton. In actuality, it's just a mechanical advantage of I think 20:1. You can increase the force by just putting more weight on the bar, or using a longer bar. You will almost always run into an issue of working height before you find something that the force can't handle. In my personal experience, a 1 ton press will handle all rockets up to 1/2" with ease, and 5/8" BP rockets. Over that is a little touch and go in my experience. You can see a modification to get around the height thing here: http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/rockets/presses.html

• 7 months later...

could a single action reloading press be used for smaller rocket cores ?

They are very smooth and do a great job for 12 gauge shells, which seem similar to 3/4" tubes.

just asking...