APC Forum

ETN/binder as possible fuel

HissingRDX

Even the bare idea of having to handle the better part of say a 10g amount of plastified ETN in a rocket motor casing is just scary to say the least. Please stay away from that type of ventures....it is courting disaster by definition.

Ah, and what is that perception founded on other than a general fear of anything that is considererd "HE"?

As I wrote earlier, in most pyro applications, neither the pressure nor the temperature wil suffice to actually make the ETN detonate but rather burn it, and yes, even CATOing your rocket should not detonate it. While ETN is somewhat pressure sensitive (unlike PETN), we were talking about a motor that has it as an addition, not as a pure fuel. Putting a heavy flash header on your rocket and igniting it prematurely might be a way to set off the fuel but I still doubt that we can detect the difference.

Ah, and what is that perception founded on other than a general fear of anything that is considererd "HE"?

As I wrote earlier, in most pyro applications, neither the pressure nor the temperature wil suffice to actually make the ETN detonate but rather burn it, and yes, even CATOing your rocket should not detonate it. While ETN is somewhat pressure sensitive (unlike PETN), we were talking about a motor that has it as an addition, not as a pure fuel. Putting a heavy flash header on your rocket and igniting it prematurely might be a way to set off the fuel but I still doubt that we can detect the difference.

Ah yes...assumption, the root of all "misunderstandings" (mildly put :) ) Please allow me to explain...My perception is founded on my personal practical experience, as well as the borrowed experience of others. I do understand that the missing "HE qualified" sign and my low post count can mislead people into thinking that I am an ignorant noob who does not know what he is talking about. It is not entierly the case. I do agree, I am just beginning to grasp the amount of things that I do not know yet, but based on what I do know I stand firmly by my opinion...it is a bad and dangerous idea.

The general fear of all HE is a healthy and vital thing to have....I have it and I'm not ashamed to destify so. It keeps me alert and safe, I pray that everyone who decides to become involved in this field be blessed with a healthy portion of it. It does not mean that it can not be a fascinating and addictive hobby. Perhaps my warning came over as too harsh, but anyone who truly understands the possible consequenses can hardly hold it against me.

Could you please elaborate on the claim that the pressures and temperatures in a pyrotechnical setting are not capable of detonating a nitric ester.....I find it is very irresponsible to make claims of that sort.

Dilution of the ester in a mixture with other propellant will of course lessen the probability of DDT, but do you know where the limit lies? Especially with a substance like ETN that has been rejected from industrial production and for which very little reliable data exists.

Last but not least there is the problem of possible interactions between the ester and the propellant that it will be diluted in...an aspect that should not be forgotten about.

In fact there are probably more hidden obstacles than I can think of....it is a challenge and in my opoinion an unduly dangerous one. But if anyone decides to pursue the idea despite all odds then all I'm asking is: be cautios, alert and revert from assumptions.

Be safe, friends!

• Like 1

Discussion of HE's is not allowed outside the HE Section, I'm afraid.

And HE's of any sort have no legitimate use in Rocketry that I have ever heard of, be it commercial, amateur, or Pyro.