APC Forum

Hardened lead media.How many antimony should the lead have ?

whitewolf_573

s i want to change to a bigger jar , to make 1,5 kg bp at time, I have been looking in google and at the forum for this, and although i have find some things, i have not very clear what to do.

I want to buy some (like 50 lbs) hardened lead from a business that make lead balls , with the alloy you choose.

I asked for the price of 18 mm balls , and they give it for a 5% sb - lead alloy. ( 95 % lead - 5% antimony)

But i don't now if thath 5% is just enough to harden the lead for ball milling use or should go for a 10% antimony - 90% lead alloy or a linotype one (84% lead , 4% tin , 12 % antimony).

There is a lead alloy called lyman 2 that has 90 % lead - 5% tin - 5 % antimony

Also another one called Taracorp Magnum that has 92 % lead - 2% tin - 6% antimony.

But i don't know if any of those are better than just antimony 5% or 10% antimony only.

Perhaps the better one is linotype (but i think there are harder alloys , but sure more expensive)

All that is for milling bp and charcoal. I could mill individual chems by whashing up well the lead , but i think would be better to save more money and buy more lead or stainles steel (316).

Edited by whitewolf_573

Send LeadBalls a PM. He has great prices and the lead is very good.

His location is listed as north spain. I doubt it'd be cost effective to ship across the Atlantic.