APC Forum

Quick & easy way to screen chems

Bobosan

Having dealt with a bunch of hard granules in my parlon while mixing a star comp, I realized screening the stuff beforehand was needed. So I took a 40 mesh screen and started to hand screen the rest of my parlon. A very slow process, indeed. There must be a way to speed things and came up with this simple solution. Should work for any mesh size.

Yeah, and no hard particles shoved into the screen mesh. Cleans easy with a stiff brush.

I have actually started using one of those hand back/neck massagers. I don't screen into another bucket, just over some paper. Place the massager right on the screen, and it vibrates away. Works amazing. Plus it's rechargeable. I would love to make/buy a vibration table. You can get all in one vibrating motors for a decent price.

Edited by coffman34
  • Like 1

Yeah, I thought of that too! ;) Would make for an interesting conversation starter.

• Like 1

Nice idea from another fellow reloader. That noise is enough to drive me crazy though. Kind of like when the lid isn't screwed down tight enough.

I thought about converting my RCBS cleaner too, but I sill use it. The thought of pushing the screen up against the side does give the idea new meaning. My generator handles the ball mill so I will still screen by hand because my second generator has a screwed up carburetor thanks to the wonderful fuel we now get!

Nice idea from another fellow reloader. That noise is enough to drive me crazy though. Kind of like when the lid isn't screwed down tight enough.

It was a quick test to see if it was worth developing further. After looking at various vibrating tables and associated prices/complexities, just adding a small strip of sticky backed rubber door insulation to the screen frame should eliminate the clatter.

While this should work okay for chemicals, I've been warned against using them for live compositions. I was relayed at least one or two stories about them blowing up, though these were industrial settings with industrial sized batches.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to get out the vibrating tumbler. I wonder if that would be less messy for charcoal? We'll see. Thanks for the tip! :)

• 1 month later...

I use a vibrating engraver with the point inserted into a wooden dowel. 1" for screens,3/8 for funnels. Touch the dowel to screen or stck it into the funnel.

Sam

One could also use this type of gadget:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-9V-1-6V-8000RPM-Micro-VDC-Coreless-Vibrator-Motor-6mm-Diameter-12mm-Height-/181116438961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2b6189b1

Attached to the screen frame or the support frame it will do a good job. I actually tried to use one of these on my visco machine to vibrate the feed funnel, but it actually was too strong for the application....besides I had a revolving funnel design and opted for a wiper type feed aid. Worked much better and wasn't shaking everything apart :D But I imagine it is spot on in a screening machine....

I like marks idea, a brushless motor mod in a sealed unit. ( with power and all ) that "clips" onto the screen

I like marks idea, a brushless motor mod in a sealed unit. ( with power and all ) that "clips" onto the screen

Those motors are small enough to mount in a hole drilled in a screen frame.

Just so you guys are aware. That link is not for a brushless motor. That is just a coreless motor (still has brushes) A brushless motor will have 3 wires coming off of it unless it has an internal controller.

Edited by Jakenbake

Just ordered my brushless direct from china! Can't wait to screen multiple comps at once!

Let us know how well (or not) it works. Pics and/or vids would be great.