APC Forum

Need plans or diagrams for making tools

pyrodoc

Hi,

As you guys guessed, i need plans for some tools.

But, i was able to find out Lathe machine in my city.

Brass tools or Aluminium tools?

If you got any drawing/plans for ramming bases and rammers please help me out. I will start with turbo pyro book. No rocket tooling required.

doc

Check this out: http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/4636-helpful-application-for-sketching-rocket-tools/

The tool sketcher has several "standard" tool sets, and also allows you to design custom sets.

WB

Thank you so much..Thats a great link.

With no engineering drawing background it looked like tough task. Atleast now i have some idea.

I am following turbo pyro book. The tubes are as follows: Paper tubes, 3/8-Inch ID, 3.5-Inch Long. 1/8-inch wall thickness, parallel wound

In the pic pasted the length of the rammer can be 8 inch or 10 inch?. Can you guys guide me for spindle taper, length etc. What should be the exact diameter of the rammer if ID of tube is 3/8 inch.

post-18917-0-66235600-1393312449_thumb.jpg

Which are the most commonly used raw hide mallets in pyrotechnics (by weight).

The problem you're running into is that you have the wrong type of rocket selected in the tooling sketcher. The rocket in Turbo Pyro is a core burner, and you selected end burner. Core burner tubes are normally longer than end burner tubes. This is why the dimensions are off. If you do it right, the rocket tool sketcher should get you very close to where you need to be.

The problem you're running into is that you have the wrong type of rocket selected in the tooling sketcher. The rocket in Turbo Pyro is a core burner, and you selected end burner. Core burner tubes are normally longer than end burner tubes. This is why the dimensions are off. If you do it right, the rocket tool sketcher should get you very close to where you need to be.

Sorry, my mistake. I should have pointed out that i am making a gerb/fountain tool. Though, this is a rocket making tool designer it got options for custom made and fountain/gerb.

Are these ok?

post-18917-0-41361700-1393389444_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't go to much trouble for a gerb tool. You can just use a flat ended bar and drill the nozzle (carefully!) after.

For rockets, if you specify a tube length, it automatically adjusts the spindle length. That doesn't necessarily give you a good performing rocket, though. You should stick to the standards - length = 10 diameters - for best results with the rocket tool sketcher.

Brass if you can get it. Aluminum is cheap, easy to work and suitable for the bigger sizes, but it does bend easily. For small diameters it's very difficult to turn the taper in aluminum without the spindle breaking off at the base, so for any long spindle of 1/2 inch or less, it's much easier to use brass. Some people turn down a stainless steel bolt for the spindle, with a separate aluminum cone at the bottom for the nozzle, but turning SS is very difficult and your lathe man needs to be good and experienced.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone,

I am a true beginner at pyrotechnics, and i am really intrested

in making my own indoor Ice fountain fireworks for cakes.

can anyone help me with that.

thanks

You need to be careful with any homemade pyrotechnics that are set off indoors. These are made by pros and are designed to be somewhat safe if used right. You need to worry about the burning hazards as well as any toxic smoke.

That said, I think the ice fountains might use nitrocellulose and maybe misch metal for sparks. You would probably be better off buying them and trying to make traditional fountains for outside use. I've been doing this over ten years and don't think I would attempt indoor pyro where my house and loved ones could be put at risk. At least not without a lot of research and experimentation to make sure they do not ever malfunction.

You need to be careful with any homemade pyrotechnics that are set off indoors. These are made by pros and are designed to be somewhat safe if used right. You need to worry about the burning hazards as well as any toxic smoke.

That said, I think the ice fountains might use nitrocellulose and maybe misch metal for sparks. You would probably be better off buying them and trying to make traditional fountains for outside use. I've been doing this over ten years and don't think I would attempt indoor pyro where my house and loved ones could be put at risk. At least not without a lot of research and experimentation to make sure they do not ever malfunction.

Dear.

To be honest, I have made it to the point that it produce just the fire without smoke and safe, but not sparkling! I am up to finding how can i make the fire become sparkler type.

thanks for comment,

Dear.

To be honest, I have made it to the point that it produce just the fire without smoke and safe, but not sparkling! I am up to finding how can i make the fire become sparkler type.

thanks for comment,

Add metals. Just be aware that adding metals may very well increase the burn-rate due to increased heat. For silver fountains & gerbs i use 2 particle sizes of aluminum. One to color the flame, and one to get the sparks. No idea what would work for your application, just be careful so you don't end up with a indoor device that is more of a bomb, then a fountain...

Anyway, i think you should really start a new thread for this line of questions. Ask a mod to break it out of here, and start over? Might get more useful responses that way.

B!

Ask a mod to break it out of here, and start over? Might get more useful responses that way.

B!

Thanks dude,

Where can i ask this mod?! what is the full form of mod anyway.

would you please guide me more.

how can i start new thread?

thanks

Mod is short for moderator. At the top of each forum is a 'start new topic' button.

I'm surprised you couldn't get sparks if you were able to make a safe, reliable, non toxic gerb. Sparks are pretty easy and almost always made with metal or charcoal. But with sparking material you have to make sure it is a uniform sized or all small enough so that it burns out long before it can fall back to the floor.

What is the formula of your current fountain? Maybe we can make a suggestion to tweak it and make it better.

Edit: spelling

Edited by FlaMtnBkr