APC Forum

First 3.5 inch shell with 1# rocket green outer with a Winokurs #31 glitter inner

mkn

Hi All,

Exciting night here ! my first 3.5 " pasted shell with a 1# rocket. The hemi's, tube and tooling are all homemade. shell pasted with 8 layers ( 3 strip method) Veline green cut stars 3/8" outer with equator inner ring of Winokur's #31 glitter rolled stars. BPCRH burst Shell weight 210 g. Rocket : 1# with screened powder and 2% mineral oil, hand rammed. nozzle clay grog wax mix . timing hole drilled down side of tube to 1/2 " above spindle height with black match and BPCRH to quick fuse of shell. Delay is fuel mixed with TI spherical 80 - 325 mesh.

I have been working on burst timing on the rockets, prior to my last rocket, they were all breaking late on the way down, then I found the drilled hole tip on a search of the forum :)

Thank you all for a great source of safe information, This site, Skylighter , Nighthawkinlight, VH718, buddyboy272 and Ned Gorski videos. I just started in January and have enjoyed, mortar's to 3" , end burner and core burner rockets, shell's now up to 3.5" , cylinders to 3", heaviest mortar so far 340 g , heaviest rocket launch, 450g ( dummy cylinder with flour) I've made some pine charcoal and used that to make estes style motors and launch homemade model rockets with my oldest son, who does all my video's.

What do you all think, any suggestions / tips?

I can say, the homemade hemis were not perfect round or cut exactly in half, the cut stars were not all the same size, close, but vary by 1/8" maybe. my rocket stick had a slight curve, and the shell was not perfectly centered/ balanced on the top of rocket. Launch tube was set to send straight up at a 4 - 5 degree angle straight away. The launch went slightly to the left ( possibly the stick or shell mount or both ? which of these two matter the most?) my rockets will usually go fairly straight un-weighted, but with a payload seem to usually go to the left slightly ( 30-50 yrs left of aim point) ? The break was possibly too much overhead for a good side video of the break, was looking for peony with the winokur' s equator ring directly behind the green, the video looks like the equator ring was leaning to the left indicating break orientation. How was the timing? seemed to be at the apogee, but the rocket looked like it was still traveling fast forward.

Loving this new hobby ! :P

Matt

• Like 1

Break timing looked good!

Drilling back is a great technique to achieve perfect timing.

Kudos for using homemade tooling!

You might branch into spiked canister shells for your next effort.

Yes, I've attached a few 3" cylinders to rockets, but my timing was off so no posted videos....my avatar is a D1, rubber blue , D1 - 3 inch cylinder launched from a mortar.

I saw the most recent cylinder rocket from Viking Pyro, and that might give me some inspiration for this weekend, now that my timing is better.

Matt