APC Forum

nzzlless rocket CATO

shouldnoteatindat

i just started trying to make nozzleless rocket using some of hunters tools but every single time they CATO it sounds like a gun shot and completely disintegrates. they are 4 oz i am using my slower bp i ram it pretty hard. you guys got any tips on how to make it work? i haven't tried just adding more charcoal to my bp yet but i will later on.

Edited by shouldnoteatindat
  • Like 1

I'd reevaluate your ramming technique. Make sure you have a good hammer or mallet. You'll ideally want a rawhide or deadblow hammer. A rubber mallet is about the worst thing you can use. Also make sure you're ramming on a good solid base. You want something heavy and that will deaden any vibrations or bouncing. Bouncing and vibrations are energy that isn't being imparted to your fuel grain. Additionally you might want to decrease your increment size. If you don't have to use at least 10-15 separate fuel additions to fill up your rocket, they're already too big. Quality tubes also help. NEPT is one of the best you can get in the US.

There is no reason you use a slower BP. If you can make them function with the hottest BP you can produce, you're not making them right.

Nozzleless has more than 1 vowel by the way. You might not want to take your spelling lessons from dan999ification.

Is your BP granulated or dust? What kind of mallet are you ramming with? What surface are you ramming on? What size of increments are you using? What kind of tubes? Do you use a tube support of some type?

Thanks mum, I spell it nzless though :) and use slower fuel because my spiral tubes can't handle Oiled bp.

They still lift shells regardless.

It is most likely the ramming method or the tubes, is the bp ball milled?

Also ramming bp as opposed to pressing it will have different density... I can't get as much bp in mine as others who press, I'm sure lower density grains can't handle the pressure hotter fuels give.

You might not get it to work with ramming and bp, if the consolidation and tubes are not up to scratch, then you may need a slower fuel to suit your needs.

All I care about is if they take a shell in the air :)

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

Thanks for the help, i rammed it MUCH harder this time.It worked great it went up about 200' and then got caught in wind and went all over the place.

• Like 1

Yes Dan, take a shell in the air !! and get the timing right, that's what I'm working on. I think I might have broken the code on break timing with rockets, a few more shots will tell or not.

Shouldnot....... try ramming just the meal powder, no granules, I had trouble trying to use the granules and dust that went through my 20 mesh, figuring they would compact ( no, CATO) . Then went to meal and no problems with spiral wound commercial or using my own parallel rolled tubes now for core as well as end burner.

What I am liking about rockets is that you are not limited to shell size vs mortar tube, and having many tube sizes. I'm figuring that my 3# rockets are going to be enough lift to keep me happy for awhile :) then I'll just need to find a 1.5" roller and........

That dust vent you're working on is a great idea and feature, I know I am banished to the shed come spring ;)

ps I am using nozzles for now, I know you were talking without, but I thought the meal powder might help.