APC Forum

2nd Attempt at 3" Plastic Hemi's

BAHume

Here is my second attempt. Following everyone's advice I added a booster of 2.5 grams of whistle to my shells with BP coated rice hulls. One shell had Veline red stars and the other one was TT stars. Stars were 1/2 inch cut stars and I primed my Veline Stars with Veline Super Prime. The shells were built using the procedures in Skylighter I.E. load stars in plastic baggie and add your break charge. Not sure what happened to TT shell? Maybe too much booster? They seemed to burn up/disintegrate too quick and the break was weak at best. Sorry about video quality but I do hope it's clear enough to get feedback on what I did wrong. Thanks.

Your lift Heights are beautiful. Are you using your own BP for lift?

The tiger tails "color" looks right, but it is a slow burning star and is usually not the brightest of the charcoal based stars. I am inclined to say initially your tt shell blew blind, but your burst was so full in the center, I kinda don't think that's the case. 1/2" seems too big for 3" shells. I think that maybe your tt stars could use a BP prime. Now that I think of it, they may need something to help them stay lit while under acceleration.

Sorry my TT stars were 3/8 and not primed and my Red Veline were initially 3/8 but slightly larger after being primed. The TT stars were out of the same batch that I used in my first attempt. (They looked great but didn't have a good solid break). I'm using my own granulated BP for lift and I'm pretty satisfied with that. I mill it for about 48 hours then granulate it.

Broke stars TT (press). I use 8% dextrin for strength. And need takes a long time to dry.

Thanks Pyromaniac,

Going to add more dextrin on my next batch and we will see if that makes a difference.