APC Forum

Mortar tubes

Eagle66

I can get free paper tubes from work that are the cores for the "shrink wrap" used to wrap pallets. They have a 3" bore, 3/8" thick walls, 16" long, and are spiral wrapped. Would these be good to use as is for a mortar tube? If not, is there some way I could make them suitable?

ah, i also have access to these i will be interested to know if they work. PM if you test them

They would be suitable if you coated them with wood hardener. It will make them last much longer. But 3/8" thickness is pretty solid, so I would say it'd be great to use!

I have used spiral wrapped tubes for 2.5" cake.

I had collected from textile industry.

I use 4inch cardboard (spiral wrapped), without any coating takes up to 500g in the air. It is advisable to coat inside with wood glue/ sodium silicate, so that after shooting paper does not wrap off.

My old topic: http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/7748-cardboard-tube-mortars/

Edited by ivars21

Mine are on over ten shots 3" bore 1" walls, they sound big for shrink wrap.

Shrink wrap tubes are normally 40mm I'd, I also have those on over ten shots.

Inspect the tubes before loading, as said the paper can in ravel and will cause problems if not noticed.

Dan.

I have some like this they work fine, plug then and use them. My plugs are poured in polyester resin filled with dry sharp sand. Gaffer tape the bottom pour in some resin to make about 1.5 inches depth then pour in some warm sand to make up to about 3". Solid plugs easily.

Ohhhhhh! the plastic wrap tubes I still remember when I shot my very first shell from one of those kind of tubes... it did not go well! (barely lifted the shell 30-40 ft up in the air) but not because of the tube but because the low quality lift I used back then. :D