APC Forum

Strontium nitrate

shouldnoteatindat

i was reading a pdf about the safety of this stuff as i was thinking about getting some. it said that it will catch fire if it comes in contact with anything flammable (i.e paper towel or wood) i am wanting to know if this is like a huge deal and your screwed if it touches anything or if its just some safety bs and it will never happen to anyone. or if its somewhere in the middle and i just need to be carefull?

• Like 1

I suspect you are misinterpreting the safety sheet. Strontium nitrate is an oxidizer, so it will aid in ignition and make a fire worse. It will not spontaneously combust if it gets in contact with a paper towel or a piece of wood. "Safety BS..." is the wrong attitude though. Edited by nater
  • Like 2

Everything is hazardous according to MSDS data. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

Not literally though, since salt can cause irritation upon ingestion.

• Like 1

MSDS data reflects the hazards in all chemicals, that is the point of them. Looking up a sheet for Strontium Nitrate shows a material that is not very hazardous at all. It is a minor skin irritant and an oxidizer. Its flammability and reactivity by itself is low, as an oxidizer, it needs to be stored seperate from anything flammable.

There is no need to blow off the information in the MSDS, it is quite valuable, especially for us first responders. You will start to see a new system with similar data and different symbols. OSHA is pushing towards the international standards, still simple to understand.

While were on the subject, some strontium nitrate I purchased a year ago has turned from pure white to brown and now looks like demerara sugar. It was stored in an air-tight HDPE container out of direct sunlight. What has happened to it?

ok, thanks for all your help everyone much appreciated!

. "Safety BS..." is the wrong attitude though.

i was just laying out the options. sorry if it did not come out the way i intended.

Edited by shouldnoteatindat
  • Like 1