APC Forum

Making screens... What mesh?

MrB

I was set out to get mesh and make my own screens, since i recently admitted to my self, i lack screens, and it's time to do something about it. My first outset was something like 5, 6, 10, 12, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 100, 150, 300, and make 2 stacks of 6 screens each, in a storage / collection box with a collar / lid that would let me get away with storing it fairly neatly. Making it from 12"square mesh would let me make two near cubes, something near 32x32x32cm... Thats with the storage / collection box. And going by the assumption that i could pull of making them. But about here my plans sort of grinds to a halt.

Pretty much only been working with 2 different mesh's so far, both robbed from the kitchen, i was sort of wondering what mesh i should invest in.

Not only do i not know what that translates to in our world, but i also have no idea how it relates to the screens we actually need, and use.

While typing this, i also came to the realization, that i probably need a third box of screens, for sizing stars. something like 1", 3/4", 1/2", 1/4"... But again, no idea what mesh that would end up being.

So, here goes the questions. Yeah, a long start, to what basicly is a single question. I know, please forgive me.

What mesh screens are the most commonly used, the must have, screens of choice. Which screens is it you could absolutely not do without, what other mesh's do you have access to, and what mesh sizes would you add to your collection if they suddenly came knocking on your door... Oh, and if you wouldn't mind, what do you use the different screens for, as to get a reference frame for the recommendation.

I'm still thinking i'll end up making my own screens, i want to make stackable screens with a storage box containing 5-6 screens each, and 2-3 boxes. And just coz i can, or rather, to challenge my self, they are of course going to be stackable on each other, the lot of them.

12x12"... These screens wont be huge, thats for sure. If we can make it 6-7 screens in each box, i'll see if i cant track down 18x18" screen mesh...

B!

4, 8, 12 for sizing BP and granulating comps

20, 40 for mixing.

Mine are 12"x12"

20, 40 for mixing.

Mine are 12"x12"

I could never find a real use for anything smaller than 40 mesh myself.

Mine are 18" x 24" though... so much easier to work with.

Edited by ddewees

So many views, so few responses...

So, in order to get rough sizing sieves, i need something like 1, 2, 4, for 25, 12.5, and 6.25mm. Well, roughly, with some to spare for the wires.

8, 12, 20 & 40 makes 7 screens.

Somehow feels like i want more opinions, i'm likely to make one set of sieves in my whole life, so i don't wanna go around and miss some later on.

4-12 is also suggested for granulating, so i might make an extra sieve in about that size, since these sieves isn't likely to be treating wet stuff, ever.

Now, lay it all at me. Even if you feel "your" suggestion has already been made, share it anyway. Make me feel more confident in my plans before i start building something.

B!

I basically agree with exactly what Nater said. I do like having a 60 mesh screen in my inventory as well though. I found this is the magic mesh size when using normal quality red gum and any currently manufactured parlon. Red gum has coarse impurities like sand and bits of bark. My parlon has a fairly appreciable quantity of material that wont pass a 60 mesh screen, around 5-10% IIRC. Screening the coarse bits out of my red gum and parlon containing stars did wonders for improving color saturation, and removing any distracting tails or fallout. Of course this is all negated if you use parlon as a binder.

Bob alluded to it, but didn't really get to the point. For sizing stars, I find it better to use sorting "screens" with round holes. They support the star the entire way around. Using a wire screen will sometimes cause the edges of stars to be shaved off (especially when wet), or the wires will budge a little bit. Both of these result in poorer size control. It's also hard to get screens in the sizes you need for most normal sized stars.

• Like 2

If you are attempting to only make one set of screens, you might want to go bigger. I feel a little cramped by 12"x12" at times, I might move up to 12"x18".

An MPAG member sells these: www.bucketscreen.com. He will also drill out star sizing screens from bucket bottoms too.

Edited by nater
  • Like 1

20, 40 for mixing.

Mine are 12"x12"

+2 with the addition of a 10 mesh for BP sizing and 60 and 100 mesh for declumping and mixing

My 4 and 8 mesh are 11x20" galvenized hardware cloth. The 8's will be used for star drying. The 4's are used for rough corning along with a 10 mesh 12x12" stainless for finer BP sizing.

post-14334-0-80279800-1391998865_thumb.jpg

I basically agree with exactly what Nater said. I do like having a 60 mesh screen in my inventory as well though. I found this is the magic mesh size when using normal quality red gum and any currently manufactured parlon. Red gum has coarse impurities like sand and bits of bark. My parlon has a fairly appreciable quantity of material that wont pass a 60 mesh screen, around 5-10% IIRC. Screening the coarse bits out of my red gum and parlon containing stars did wonders for improving color saturation, and removing any distracting tails or fallout. Of course this is all negated if you use parlon as a binder.

Bob alluded to it, but didn't really get to the point. For sizing stars, I find it better to use sorting "screens" with round holes. They support the star the entire way around. Using a wire screen will sometimes cause the edges of stars to be shaved off (especially when wet), or the wires will budge a little bit. Both of these result in poorer size control. It's also hard to get screens in the sizes you need for most normal sized stars.

I really agree with everything you said based off of my experience. I always get these gritty pieces from my Parlon. I just thought that's what the mesh size is, but Parlon is very airborne and dusty, so no way these gritty pieces are Parlon. I use 60 mesh screen and I just wish I can get more! It's great for star comps and like you said, it removes a lot of crap from the chems. I just trash whatever doesn't pass through as all of my chems are finely powdered (except my spherical Ti, 30-100 mesh and FeTi, 40-325 mesh, even those are not too coarse, but they're the coarsest chems I own IIRC).

I like what you brought up about using welded mesh screens for sizing. They seem to get stuck in the holes as the stars are not square. If they're wet and if they're lightly pressed against, I've gotten stars to become screen-sliced stars instead of rolled stars. Don't buy the star sizing screens from Mum Pyro, he ripped my $100 off, never answered the phone and never shipped my item out. Buy from my fellow MAPAG member, bucketscreen.com. As nater said, he does sell star sizing screens for $40 per set. Contact him about it though.

Best

Is John S. (owner of bucketscreen.com) really a member of MAPAG? MPAG is the acronym Nater intended, and means Michigan Pyrotechnics Arts Guild. I hope this doesn't get confusing like the Northern Lighters and the Northern Lights Pyrotechnics Club.

The coarse stuff from parlon is still really parlon, just not a mesh size I desire in my compositions. If you really want to screen an entire bag of parlon, you can make a little extra money selling off the coarse stuff. Some people are willing to buy it up if they're parlon binding.

Welded wire doesn't really move much. However it's hard to find welded wire mesh in all the sizes required for sizing stars in a useful manner.

Another screen you might want to make would be an 20cm by 20cm 40 mesh screen for when you are making small "test comps" or what ever.

The crome air shaker might be something you want to get.

bob

If you are attempting to only make one set of screens, you might want to go bigger. I feel a little cramped by 12"x12" at times, I might move up to 12"x18".

An MPAG member sells these: www.bucketscreen.com. He will also drill out star sizing screens from bucket bottoms too.

My experience with John Svinicki of Bucketscreens.com was excellent. He was very responsive and pleasant, The product looks good though I've yet to try them out. He emailed to say that the website needs updating since the screens made from the 2 gallon buckets are discontinued for new customers; the screens from 5 gallon buckets are still available to all.

I had the same experience as hindsight. John had excellent communication and shipped within a day. Very happy with the product and price. If you want a set of the sorting screens you might have to email him from his website. They were not on there yet but he had them.

• 8 months later...

If you guys are looking to order multiple items at once - I would probably first take a look at the fine and coarse mesh assortments offered by http://www.mcmaster.com . This way you can easily place one order and get a look at multiple mesh types and counts - all in stainless steel.

Another tip I received from an amateur screen guy is that some manufacturers, including http://www.bwire.com , will offer you some small samples at no cost.

12" x 12" is probably the ideal size of any sized screen that you will get, and I do agree that a 40x40 mesh is just about the finest screen cloth that is needed.