APC Forum

Good Chemistry-focused Pyro Books?

Extrarius

As my presence here shows, I'm interested in pyrotechnics. Unfortunately, I cannot construct most pyrotechnic devices due to my location. However, I can still act a chemist and test different mixtures in small samples and I'm very interested in the chemistry aspect since I can only do minor pyrotechnic experimentation.

I've just about finished the book "Chemistry of Pyrotechnics: Basic Principles and Theory", which was a good introduction to the chemistry, but I'm unsure where to look next for further information. I don't mind books with fireworks manufacturing information, but I'd prefer something that focuses on the chemistry if possible.

I don't have any of the texts referenced in "Chemistry of Pyrotechnics" besides the CRC Handbook. Given my current preferences for chemistry and theory over practice, would it be worth me getting "Fireworks, Principles and Practice, 4E", "Principles of Pyrotechnics"(Shidlovskiy), or "Fireworks: The Art, Science, and Technique" (Shimizu)?

Any suggestions for chemistry-focused pyro books are appreciated.

Those three are all good. Principles of Pyrotecnics is by far the most technical of the three. The other two are heavier on the technique and theory behind manufacturing. There is certainly some discussion of the physical phenomenon happening and some details on the actual reactions taking place though.

For more scientific oriented literature, you might want to look for Fireworks from a Physical Standpoint. It's a 4 part series by Shimizu. It seems to be kind of hard to find at the moment though. The other one that is largely chemistry based is Glitter: Chemistry and Techniques by Oglesby. This will be focused on the topic of the glitter phenomenon though.

The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives by TENNEY L.DAVIS

and

The Chemistry of fireworks by MICHAEL S.RUSSELL.

these two books are also good.

• Like 1

How in depth is Principles of Pyrotechnics? What level of knowledge does it assume of the reader?

Are there in any books that balanced in theory and practice? I'm thinking of something similar to a university textbook with lab work.

Pyrotechnics by McLain, 1980 by The Franklin Institute Press, is more fully titled, "Pyrotechnics from the Viewpoint of Solid State Chemistry", is an excellent volume from a theoretical standpoint.

I've always refered to Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics by Ehlern, 1968 by Chemical Publishing Company

Pyrotechnics by Hardt, 2001 by Pyrotechnica Publications, has a lot to offer plus state of the art fireworks information (best in the English language this century in my opinion).

There are others but I'll mention them after some thought.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Thanks for all the input. I ordered "Principles of Pyrotechnics". I looked around for "Fireworks from a Physical Standpoint" and couldn't find any place selling the whole set, and the few places selling individual parts wanted outrageous amounts for them.

I'll look into all the other titles mentioned, and I'd love information about obtaining the mentioned titles inexpensively.

More input is, as always, appreciated =-)

Edited by Extrarius

#ReadScribd - I'm reading "Fireworks - Principles and Practice " on Scribd. http://scribd.com/doc/97691297

#ReadScribd - I'm reading "Glitter the Chemistry & Techniques - L. Scott Oglesby" on Scribd. http://scribd.com/doc/102231264

I read a lot of books using scribe app on my nexus 7 tablet for (Free !)

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought and read "Principles of Pyrotechnics" and "Fireworks, Principles and Practice, 4E", and both were very informative. I'm working on acquiring "Fireworks from a Physical Standpoint" but don't have it yet.

In "Fireworks, Principles and Practice, 4E", I enjoyed the sections by Shimizu most. Given that, and that I'm getting "Fireworks from a Physical Standpoint", is it likely that "Fireworks: The Art, Science, and Technique" will still be a good read? How much overlap does it have with the other books?