APC Forum

Hemispheres reshaping help

oldsman

Hello everybody. Have been real sick, in and out of hospital for the past year. Sorry that i have not been logged on in a long time. Now i just have to catch up on reading past items. Well enough of that. I got some hemispheres and there are paper. There are all out of shape. I would like to know if anyone could help me, by telling me,how to fix this problem. I thought maybe wetting them enough just to reform them in a pvc pipe. Would this work? I tried to find out online, but to no help. Any help would be greatful.

I think Arthur is probably right. The first thing I would try is to stack them, face down on a level, hard floor. Stack them very carefully to assure they are all very centered, then figure a way to keep firm, but not too heavy, pressure on them for a few days.

Maybe use a ratcheting tie down strap or two to hold a stack firmly against a board or something like that.

Or find a ball just the right size to fit in them and do them 2 hemis at a time around the ball.

I'm guessing they'll naturally return to round with one of these.

Many hemis do this. I generally just stored probably 10 or so sets on top of a plastic ball shell, all rubber banded together and they rounded out nicely. This is one of the few things that plastic hemis are good for. After a few days to a week maybe, they'll round out permanently. I generally just stored them like this until I needed them though.

• Like 2

Even store bought hemis do this. I have a 16" set that is pretty warped. I think it has to do with excess moisture building up in the paper and the weight from the ones sitting on top of it warps it into a deformed oval.

Also, if you plan to stack them like other users mentioned. You're putting pressure on the weak spots of the hemi and it can split at one or a couple of the seams, so not too much pressure is key.

Edited by LambentPyro

Thanks for all the info. Will try some way noted.As for now have some in a tube, some tied down. but they seem to go back, to the out of round deal in about five min.Got these from pyro direct. Should of said that in the first. 3'' Will be checking in time to time ,have meds to do and they make me sick. Thanks again .

If not too severe, Ovals don't bother me, when you tape the equator they will round off. Pasting well will also help.

Damage around the poles i consider a problem but light repairs can be made. As with damaged petals.

I dry my homemade hemispheres neatly stacked and they do stay in shape.

Dan.