APC Forum

No Buck...Low Buck Nozzle Mix

Blackthumb

Those of you who change your own oil.....use 'oil dry', or kitty litter, let it sit for a day or two, add enough dry mix to make it not clump....a few seconds in a coffee grinder and some of the best nozzle mix I have used.....

post-10839-0-24618100-1389811842_thumb.jpg

post-10839-0-81825400-1389811857_thumb.jpg

post-10839-0-76192700-1389811875_thumb.jpg

I use cat litter for plugs and endburner nozzles but who needs em in cored rockets :)

Do you have problems with the oil seeping into the fuel if stored?

Dan.

There are many who use cat litter. Ned has a video about using it on Fireworking. You just have to try whatever works consistently and doesn't produce a nozzle blowout.

I think what he's suggesting, and most don't do, is use the rich in carbon content oil, from your car engine service to help it pack together more tightly, be moist resistant, and simply more friendly to work with. No dust.

I'd think you achieve the same result with new oil, but, used oil from your own car, is pretty much a waste product, and hence "free". Only drawback, i don't really like the way it smells, and they say used motor oil is one of those things that can cause cancer. But then again, today, they say everything can cause cancer, so i'll stick with "smell" as my main argument against this. I've been using new oil, but only on larger plugs & nozzles, (again, as i don't like the smell) since it's free to me, at least in these volumes, and i don't think the carbon content adds anything important for our purpose, but i might be wrong.

B!

You dont really want airfloat bentonite for nozzles, it grips the tube better if you have coarser particles in it, I use cat litter blitzed to pass a 30 mesh screen and add paraffin wax. It smells a lot better than used motor oil ;)

I use mine the same, course like sugar.

I've messed with wax and graphite but can't see the point in adding anything to it now.

Go nzless :)

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

I have always used fireclay for nozzeles and add a little motor oil to reduce dust and give better consolidation. My experiance with bentonite has been less than desireable because it does not seem to be as durable as fireclay. I test rammed some floor dry in some tubes, granules and powdered, did'nt like it.

Never had a blow out w/my mix....had several catos but nozzle was intact. I have to remove a nozzle with a metal ram and hammer...

Now if I can just master hard bp grains, I'll be a happy camper!!!