APC Forum

copper sulfate

shouldnoteatindat

i recently got some copper sulfate and i am wanting to know how i could make a colored rocket fuel out of it anyone know?

I think he ment coppersulfat (anhydr) is hygroscopic.

It turns into the pentahydrate by incorporating 5 molecules of watter into his crystall matrix. The hygroscopicy of copper sulfat is quite different to jormal hygroscopy, as it jncorporates the water into the crystall matrix itself, and not having it staying around.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. However if you're insinuating that when copper (II) sulfate absorbs water from the air to become a hydrate that the water does not coordinate to the copper center, you're flat out wrong. There is a published structure. It coordinates 4 of the 5 waters directly to the metal center equatorially. The 5th is co-crystallized in the unit cell, but not directly associated with the metal.

Well no, the copper sulfate (anhdrous) is the white stuff, CuSO4. It doesn't contain any water. It absorbs water to become the pentahydrate CuSO4 *5 H2O. This is better writen to be [Cu (H2O) 4] SO4 *H2O, as it coordinates 4 of the Water moleculs direcgly onto the Copperion.

The thing i really wanted to describe easy, is the That the water of crystallization behaves quite different in coper sulfatethen in most substances, as it becommes part of the crystall structure itself.

So it's the difference between lattice water and coordinsted water

Edited by schroedinger