APC Forum

My First 3" shell

BAHume

My first attempt using a 3" plastic hemi filled with cut Tiger Tail stars. I followed the shell building procedures posted at Skylighter but used rice hulls instead of burst powder. Sorry no rising effects just yet and my son did this video on his I Phone so don't kill me on the quality. I do welcome any/all comments, thanks!

Brian

Try using just a touch of flash to boost the burst to make it more round. The TT stars looked great though!

• Like 1

Nice shell.

Did you use paper or plastic shell casings?

Like Tyroneezekiel said a touch of flash or whistle mix could be used to make a better break.

• Like 1

It's not bad for first shell. If you are using plastic casings, you can add flash/whistle to spread the stars more. If you don't feel like boosting your shells, you can just use paper casings instead and paste more layers of craft.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. Now it's time to improve the shell break and shell construction. I'm still going to work with the plastic shells until I get my desired results, then I'll move on to the paper ones.

Paper and plastic shells are two different animals. You'll be starting over from square one when you eventually move to paper. There is really no reason to stick to plastic to perfect them, only to move on later.

Just burn yourself out of your current plastic hemis, then switch to paper. Paper is definitely more rewarding in the long run

I hear ya guys, I'm going to use up the rest of my plastic stock of hemis and move on to paper. Then I will definitely be asking for help on how to paste them properly. Thanks!

Go with gummed tape. It takes under 10 minutes to paste a shell