APC Forum

Activated Charcoal for fish tanks?

MWJ

Does anyone know if Activated Charcoal (made for fish tanks), crushed up will work for Bp? I used it to filter my moonshine and kept the used stuff, just in case.

Clean activated charcoal sucks for BP. If the junk added by being used as a filtering component does anything, i don't know, but my best guess is that it's best used as fertilizer, or, to stoke a charcoal creating fire. If you decide to try it anyway... let us know how it goes. Hopes aren't high.

B!

Thanks, I might try it just for fun, but I think I'll buy some already made. :)

I've seen many threads exactly like this over the years.

I have never seen any posts saying that it was good, or that anyone kept using it after trying it.

Convenient for some, it seems. However it seems that at best, activated charcoal cannot be compared to decent or even average ordinary charcoal.

However it could be useful for some things... not every use for BP is for lift and burst. Also, as you said, it can be fun to try :) Trying all sorts of things is useful for personal pyrotechnic development!

This may be a area where the charcoal can be used for H-3. H-3's performance is more related on the ability of the charcoal to absorb the kclo3 into the porous structure . Bp needs a very good carbon content and a very high quality of charcoal to get a fast burn speed.

Wow, thanks for all of your comments. I do live around a forest of pond. pine trees so I guess I can make some from firewood. can't be too hard?

Tried that and artist willow, once.

You can lift with it but it takes extra work, good homemade charcoal is what you want.

Even newspaper and napkin is better than activated charcoal.

Dan.

Wow, thanks for all of your comments. I do live around a forest of pond. pine trees so I guess I can make some from firewood. can't be too hard?

Cocking your own charcoal is probably one of the easier things related to fireworking. Cocking good consistent charcoal is a bit harder, i still haven't got it figured out, but i'm working on it.

B!

cooking*

cocking is something different!

• Like 1

True. I'm going to leave it un-edited as comic relief, saved for the future. And if anyone ever asks me about it, i'll claim it was intentional.

B!

I really was hoping that was a misprint. :0 How do I know when enough cooking is enough?

Edited by MWJ

It should be black. (Duh, yeah, i know, sorry. I've had "some" luck with the odd brown sticks from a run, but generally, black is preferred. It's not a race thing, it's chemistry...)

It should sound like porcelain when you drop a stick of it on a hard surface.

You should be able to break it very easily, but it should snap, not crumble.

I really was hoping that was a misprint.

I'm going to blame it on being tired, and Swedish. Your choice on what takes priority as an excuse ;- )

B!

It should be black. (Duh, yeah, i know, sorry. I've had "some" luck with the odd brown sticks from a run, but generally, black is preferred. It's not a race thing, it's chemistry...)

It should sound like porcelain when you drop a stick of it on a hard surface.

You should be able to break it very easily, but it should snap, not crumble.

B!

I concur.

Doesn't matter whether you cook it or cock it as long as results are like B! describes. :)

Edited by Bobosan

There are a variety of threads on charcoal around here. If you look into them you'll probably get some hints. There are many ways to make charcoal. The most common way to start out tends to be the "retort method". Basically wood is placed into a sealed container with a small vent, and placed into a fire or heat source. This allows the various gases and volatile components to escape, while preventing oxygen from entering the container. When cooking the smoke coming out of the container will change appearance several times. While it's going strong the smoke will be fairly thick white and possibly combusting itself.. When it's about done it will change to a much thinner, often slightly blue looking whispy smoke. I always let it go a little longer after this to ensure it's cooked through, but that's about it. Seal it off and let it cool, and you'll have good charcoal waiting for you.

I really was hoping that was a misprint. :0 How do I know when enough cooking is enough?

Thanks guys, I'll post of how it went.

• 4 weeks later...