APC Forum

How high could I get this rocket?

HissingRDX

Hi,

I have an old estes rocket that uses a C-class, standard black powder motor, probably gets around 500 feet, the rocket is approx 2 feet tall. I am thinking about spending some time experimenting and learning about model rocket propulsion and making my own motor eventually that will far over power this rocket, but still fit in the motor compartment. Instead of a 1.5 second burn, I hope to eventually get to around 5-10 second burn with more thrust. Is it feasible at all to do this? I know most people would like to launch rockets that go a certain height and then eject parachute, but what about sending a rocket as high/fast as possible using a high performance motor? I have access to Ammonium Perchlorate, aluminum and other materials.

You need to read the thread for composite propellants. It has lots of info about the htpb or pban binder you need for AP.

Has anyone ever made a bottle rocket with high performance rocket motor to go as high as possible?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but that's a really vague and open ended question...

Ok, How high approx. have people been able to make bottle rockets they made go? What kind of motors did they use? I don't care about the report much..

Edited by HissingRDX

High???? LOL..... I just want them to quit chasing me!

I use 75/15/10 nozzless with core. They really zip with a hot charcoal.

what size do you consider a bottle rocket and what do you mean by what type of motor ill say if you are not lifting anything endburners will give you the most height i can easily acheive 1km high with a 60g heading on an endburner and im yet to try a smaller nozzle or making my fuel hotter

Bottle rocket size? Depends on who you ask. I consider them 6mm ID (1/4"). Most go straight up and gone but a few go wild and seem to go after their creator.

Started using sticks longer than the bamboo skewers and that cured the cruise missile problem.

Edited by Bobosan

I use a lot of my BP motors for model rockets. The thing is that the motor outside diamaters are diferent from the standard model rocket motors. AP motors can be made for 24mm motors and larger, but you could probably make them smaller too. Higher and faster will need a core burner.

For a long burn, you need either a larger composite core burning motor formulated for a long burn propellant or an end burn motor such as BP. But remember if you use a paper rocket tube for an endburn motor, the longer the burn the more likly the tube will burn thrugh. I do not know of any composite end burn propellants but I'm sure they are out there.

It sounds to me you want to over power your small Estes rocket, if you over power it too far, it will probably disintegrate on the way up.

A 5-10 sec. burn of a standard size motor with more thrust than a C or D motor...not gonna happen.

Edited by kpknd