APC Forum

High pressure gauge

jessoman

Hi all,

I've been looking for a gauge ~10,000 psi to tap into my bottle jack for press but having great difficulty finding one locally. Did not think they would be too hard to find. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find one? Or should I just bite the bullet and order one from overseas.

Kind Regards,

Jess

Hey Jess, I got a 15k psi one online. They work pretty well. I was going to make a pressure to force gauge. I say "going to" because I screwed up the modification to the hydraulic ram royally...

While it worked for a while it was leaking fluid through the tiniest places while under pressure.

Oh, do you remember where? If your not using it my address is... Joking :)

How did you end up measuring force?

Just from eBay. Same with the hydraulic ram. My problem was that the ram had a bolt through the bottom attached to the piston via a spring so that the piston would automatically return. Had to undo that so I could lift the piston up and fill with fluid. So having a nice big hole in the bottom, I tried to seal it up with a welder... Bad idea. Looked like a nice clean job but when I pressed, and the pressure reached around 3500 psi, the fluid would almost "cry" out of invisible parts in the welding. Won't be trying that tactic again...

Yeh right, so I have to be real careful to find the right type of jack, will I be able to tell when I buy it? Why wouldn't the bolt go back in, hard to visualise? Do you have a photo of it?

How do you measure force now?

Yeah I can pm you with who I got it off of eBay.

I couldn't put the bolt back in the bottom of hydraulic ram to block the hole again because the thread for it was on the bottom of the piston which was raised so it can perform as a p2f gauge.

So at the moment I'm not measuring what I'm pressing at so I'm just trying to "feel" it through the hydraulic press. I'm cracking a lot of tubes by forcing to much pressure unfortunately. Need to get onto it again. I can't really show you a pic of the part I'm talking about because I tried to weld the hole closed. If you want I can send you a pic of the whole stuff up if you like. Lol

Oh right I understand, so you were using the jack as just a p2f gauge that receives force? From what I understand you put the jack back together as normal and the oil pressurises more if there is more load. You were doing it different?

• 2 weeks later...