APC Forum

dextrin

shouldnoteatindat

so ive read afew places that dextrin can be made by simply cooking xorn starch in the oven on aluminuj foil for a few hours? is this true

• Like 1

Will be a lot of smoke... Important mixing many a time. Cook to a light brown (1,5 hours). For the strength of stars use 1.3 times more than usual dextrin.

If there's smoke, you're doing it wrong.

You can cook corn starch into something resembling dextrin. It's really not even close to the real deal commercial product though. Everyone has their own process. I used to cook at 350F (175C) for a few hours. You really have to learn when it's done, and not just settle on a set time.

I cook mine till it gets a golden brown / orangie yellow color . it takes me a few hours, anyways i prefer SRGS or commercial dextrin do to the fact you dont have to go through the long and smelly process of making it , and its much better quality. but when your on a tight budget , use what you have available and make use of everything :)

If there's smoke, you're doing it wrong.

You can cook corn starch into something resembling dextrin. It's really not even close to the real deal commercial product though. Everyone has their own process. I used to cook at 350F (175C) for a few hours. You really have to learn when it's done, and not just settle on a set time.

In my experience it had been good with home cooked dex. I never noticed a lack of binding power . But mostly it was used for bp and occasionally for stars. It is a task to make, and does take babysitting ( lots of turning while cooking) . It is a learning process to know when it is done. color is a big indicator .

Smell it :)

I love the sweet smell of cooked corn starch, mine takes well over 2 hrs though more like 4 hrs.

After burning a batch cooking low and slow has never let me down.

It binds just fine I never put 5% in my bp.

If you Cook a kilo it will last unless you make kilos of comp at once. It also does not have to be messy.

Patience and stirring .

Dan.

My wife gives me that evil stare when the house all the sudden has the sweet smell of dextrin cooking :P . She knows Im up to mischief , and will be off to the shop for hours of bliss.

I'm not saying that the homemade stuff doesn't well. It's always worked fine for me. It's just that the commercially made acid catalyzed stuff is just so much better. It's much stickier, and much more consistent.

thanks to everyone i think i will just buy the real thing i didn't realize that this was not equally good

If you never had the real Stuff you won't notice the difference :)

I've been using homemade for over four years, col considerably more?

Jut rolled some pyro science blue with it :)

Dan.

I have both commercial and homemade, cant tell much of a difference in the stickiness to be honest but as mumbles says the commercial stuff should be more consistant. I use a lot of dex as a glue additive so paying 65p/400g is more attractive than £5/400g. If its just for stars, binding 8kg for a fiver isnt bad.