APC Forum

NC Lacquer. (Clear)coat, color?

MrB

Does it matter if it's color or just clearcoat?

The reason for asking... A painter i know of is clearing out shelf space and i've got the offer to "just take it" for a few cans of the stuff. But it's all color stuffs. Some transparent, some solids, everything from the rainbow as i understand it. A couple of the cans have solidified, and apparently as paint, it's spoiled, but for our purposes even that stuff should be ok? Fill some solvent in the can, preferable cellulose paint thinner, cap it, and leave it, it should work?

I'm pretty much hoping to get enough to last me a life time, unless i start making Visco, in large quantities. But there is no point in dragging it all home, finding somewhere to store it, and then find out that i can't use it down the line. That just means rather then helping him to drag it to the hazardous waste treatment center, i have to drag it there on my own sometime later. Sounds like more work then is quite fun.

B!

Are you asking about automotive grade lacquer paint ? If so, it will more than likely be acrylic lacquer. Nitrocellulose lacquer paints for automotive use were replaced by acrylic in the mid/late 50's - '57-'58. If he actually had automotive nitrocellulose paint, clear would be best. Most pigments added to lacquer paints would more than likely inhibit its burning somewhat. Edited by Carbon796

• 1 month later...

Can you get this at Home Depot or any hardware store? If what is the brand and name of it?

I'm in Sweden, so i have no idea if it's available in Home Depot, or other hardware stores. It's an older Automotive paint, and if my painter remebers right, it was a bit of a fuzz to get hold of it, and he had to have it shipped from the UK. I'll try and remeber to get the brand of the cans, it's 5 in the morning, and i'm going to bed, so it aint happening right now. :- )

B!

Can you get this at Home Depot or any hardware store? If what is the brand and name of it?

I've seen NC laquer at home depot but but that is lacquer paint and I don't think it would work for fireworks because it has a lot of stuff in it, additives,solvents plasticizers, etc.

Edited by asdercks

If it's NC take it. The clear stuff should be god for everything. The colored stuff should work for many things to, basically everythink where you won't get problems with colors, like primes or waterproof coatings. Also if you really thimk about making your own visco, colored would be fine.

It is close except for the shoplifting part. Even that could be true if there are some pyro thieves out there. Which there are in one form or another, but I digress.

It is close except for the shoplifting part. Even that could be true if there are some pyro thieves out there. Which there are in one form or another, but I digress.

If taking the core tubes left from the plastic shrink wrap we use at work makes me thief then I'm a thief, although I would think of me to be more like a scavenger :)

I bought some un-coated visco fuse buy mistake, I wanted the water resistant stuff. So I just would like to coat it or at least some of it. Thanks though.

I bought some un-coated visco fuse buy mistake, I wanted the water resistant stuff. So I just would like to coat it or at least some of it. Thanks though.

where did you get uncoated visco? most of the visco I've seen has a NC coating, some more than others. Have you tried it under water

I got it at "http://www.cannonfuse.com" It didn't say if it was or not but it doesn't seem to have a shine on it like stuff I bought before. I haven't tried it under water yet, but I will. It's advertised as a thicker coat then non-premium but it doesn't look like it is at all. No big deal if it's not.

http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/Chinese-Visco-Cannon-Fuse-2p518.htm

Edited by MWJ

I got it at "http://www.cannonfuse.com" It didn't say if it was or not but it doesn't seem to have a shine on it like stuff I bought before. I haven't tried it under water yet, but I will. It's advertised as a thicker coat then non-premium but it doesn't look like it is at all. No big deal if it's not.

http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/Chinese-Visco-Cannon-Fuse-2p518.htm

i'm sure is coated, try it underwater and you'll see

If it is green it is coated. If uncoated it would be white with bare thread and be easy to untwist and powder spill.

I have a dozen or more types of visco in my collection. Have green and other colors that are not coated with NC and NOT waterproof. And no it doesn't unravel.

Your right, its green and it does burn under water. :wacko:

• Like 1