APC Forum

Rammer idea

jessoman

Hi all,

Lately I have been wanting to experiment with various sized rockets. I'm interested in 'real world' experiments with the aid of research on forums and the rocket sketcher tool. Now my only issue is, my tools to make the tooling. Its no problem getting one lathed up off a friend (every now and then- as I don't like to ask too much) once I dial in dimensions. But before I get to the stage of the specifications I desire I would like to test them by creating "Once off Rammers"

So buying aluminium/aluminum (depending where your from ;) ) or stainless tubing to suit the ID I'm working with would be my first step. Then ill mainly be experimenting with spindle dimensions, to find the sweet spot to get the effects I desire in my rockets.

So my idea is filling the tube, in its entirety the completely with a steel reinforced epoxy and moulding to my experimental spindle dimensions. I will then wait for it to cure and test.

So my question is, when using a steel reinforced epoxy with only BP comps would there be a serious risk of ignition due to use of steel reinforced epoxy for these testing tools. If anyone is unsure of the risk involved with this idea, is there a reliable test- other than the obvious, to determine friction risks. OR am I being a complete idiot and should I buy my mate a couple of cartons and get him to sit on the lathe for a few days to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Kind regards,

Jess

As long as your spindle is not made of steel or at least a sparking material I see no problems in using a rammer based on your idea.

However you should be thinking about making an universal spindle/set of rammers first - these will work for many rockets (BP, BP nozzleless, super whistle, strobe, short winded whistle, magnalium rockets etc)

In fact, if the spindle has a 0.5 to 1 degrees tapper you can get away with a single rammer.

Your most important step is to find a reliable source of tubes, with the same quality and diameter. These could be rolled by you obviously. Once you solved this then you can move over to the tools; otherwise you will end up spending time and money on "experimental" tools based on tubes ID.

What do you wany to test? What do you want to accomplish? Pretty much everything has been tried at some point. Why not describe what you want and then someone may have the answer. Usually the fuel is adjusted to the tooling and not the tooling adjusted.

Great, thanks kindly.

@a_bab- I have been making my own tubes and it's been pretty successful. I also aim to have as many universal tools (or as little) as possible.

@FlaMtnBkr- I just have a few experimental ideas, yes I understand rocketry has been tried and tested for many years. I do read and respect all the data available. However, sometimes when i'm looking for a particular effect it may be perceived as 'not a good trait of a rocket' (not meaning CATO's- haha) and is difficult to search how to achieve it. I don't mind spend the time safely satisfying curiosity and knowledge of rocketry as valid as your point On the point of fuel, I like the fuel to remain the constant for these experiments.