APC Forum

Black willow charcoal supplier

TYRONEEZEKIEL

Hey everyone. There was a black willow charcoal supplier online recently, but I can't seem to remember where it is. I am plumb out and need more. Would anyone mind giving me a quick hand :)

Thanks a ton. I thought hobby chem supply did, but I couldn't find any information labeling it.

Thanks a ton. I thought hobby chem supply did, but I couldn't find any information labcustomcharcoal.com

customcharcoal.com sells willow 8 lb. for $40 free shipping

customcharcoal.com sells willow 8 lb. for $40 free shipping

Other than cooking it yourself, this sounds like a good buy. Thanks for the link, asdercks.

• Like 1

If you need it soon, then be careful with custom charcoal. He doesn't always have it in stock, and can't always cook it. He's not always the best at communicating when this is an issue.

make your own.... how do you really know if its true willow or just pine?

I believe this site has good reviews and is accommodating: http://realmontanacharcoal.net/

I believe they sell 20 lbs for $25 plus shipping. They also say they sell through distributors but if you email they will sell direct. They mention willow but I don't know if they stock it or can get it. But alder they do have and people have reported it is nearly as hot as Paulownia. And if you tell him it is for making BP he will use smaller stock which is supposed to be hotter than big, older growth. Worth checking out if you need a bunch of charcoal.

But if it were me I would make it myself. It doesn't get much easier than a TLUD cooker (about ten bucks in parts from home depot for a one gallon size ) and using eastern red cedar pet bedding from Wal-Mart or tractor supply or many other stores. And since the woods is thin chips it burns fast and doesn't need to be milled before using to make BP. Plus you can experiment with different woods in your yard. I have tried about a dozen so far and all have made BP as hot or hotter than Goex. One unidentified species lifts an object for almost twice the time of Goex (9-9.5 sec vs 5) which was also hotter than black willow (7 sec if I remember correctly). Hot isn't always best but you can make whatever you want and it is nearly free.

That's what I would do Plus I find it interesting.

This fella sells chunck Red Alder, was 20 pounds shipped for $47: www.realmontanacharcoal.net Email him and tell him you want it for fireworks and he'll use smaller branches for it. May take him a moment to produce it. Here's a site by a fellow pyro that compares different charcoal against each other http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/charcoal_tests.html

Edited by Leadballs

Thanks guys. I am really intrigued with the pet bedding idea. I have a 5 gallon retort that I use with pine 2x4s I thankfully don't need it immediately. I am going to look into tlud as I can't stand grinding down large charcoal into airfloat

Thanks guys. I am really intrigued with the pet bedding idea. I have a 5 gallon retort that I use with pine 2x4s I thankfully don't need it immediately. I am going to look into tlud as I can't stand grinding down large charcoal into airfloat