APC Forum

air born al explosion

shouldnoteatindat

if i make stars with al what is is the chances that it will cause a explosion well i'm making it

Edited by shouldnoteatindat

Аt crushing aluminum mill every hour open for aluminum oxidation.

Edited by Niladmirari

Аt crushing aluminum mill every hour open for aluminum oxidation.

i cant say i understand your answer

Was a case of spherical aluminum ignition in a coffee grinder. Caked lumps ... I decided to grind

i cant say i understand your answer

Sorry did not understand the first question.

The milling of aluminum has absolutely nothing to do with your original question and have no clue why it was even brought up.

All sources of spark and flame should be eliminated in any area where you're mixing compositions. The amount of air-born aluminum depends on what type you're using. Atomized aluminum is fairly dense and stays in place usually. Flake aluminums do float around more. Even so, I've never heard of an aluminum-air explosion ever happening in pyrotechnics. Mixing with other chemicals will also help to keep the aluminum in place. Even when trying to light suspended aluminum, you probably wont get more than a few small flashes.

• Like 1

As Mumbles said, it's unlikely for an air born explosion to occur. However, other risks are bound to occur when making stars with Aluminum, such as the common Nitrate-Aluminum reaction. I recommend dissolving Boric Acid in your solvent, dissolves easy in Isopropanol, not so much water, and atomizing it in your well-mixed star composition and you will not have to worry about it spontaneously combusting. As with mixing anything anyway, always do it outdoors so there is no dust hazard. Edited by LambentPyro

While more soluble in alcohol, there really is no point in doing that. Firstly, The aluminum/nitrate reaction is water mediated, so using alcohol in the first place will usually be enough to prevent it. Secondly, the most common effects where this reaction is an issue, glitters and flake Al streamers, are not usually suitable for binding with any alcohol activated binders.

While more soluble in alcohol, there really is no point in doing that. Firstly, The aluminum/nitrate reaction is water mediated, so using alcohol in the first place will usually be enough to prevent it. Secondly, the most common effects where this reaction is an issue, glitters and flake Al streamers, are not usually suitable for binding with any alcohol activated binders.

Doesn't household Isoprop. contain water as the other ingredient? Clearly says it on my bottles...

Anyway, if alcohol is not a suitable binder for Glitters and Flake Al streamers, water would have to be used; and if water is the the reaction's activation, then explain to me why Boric Acid should not be used?

Boric acid absolutely should be used. It's the use of an alcoholic solution of it that is useless.

How do you dissolve Boric Acid in Water? I cannot seem to get it...

Get a gallon of distilled water, pour a little out for your homies, and add like 150-200g of boric acid and shake every so often. Boric acid isn't overly soluble (4-6% w/v), but it only takes a little bit to kill the reactions. You can honestly even spray it on after a reaction has started to kill it in some cases, though the batch might not work quite right anymore. It doesn't matter if it doesn't all dissolve, you decant off the solution when pouring from the jug anyway. I've never had a problem using spray bottles or anything doing this. You can always filter if you're concerned. I actually rarely use boric acid solution, unless I've experienced an adverse reaction in the past or looks to be troublesome. Accidentally using it with magnalium can ruin effects, so I'm not in the habit of using it regularly.

• Like 1

Get a gallon of distilled water, pour a little out for your homies, and add like 150-200g of boric acid and shake every so often. Boric acid isn't overly soluble (4-6% w/v), but it only takes a little bit to kill the reactions. You can honestly even spray it on after a reaction has started to kill it in some cases, though the batch might not work quite right anymore. It doesn't matter if it doesn't all dissolve, you decant off the solution when pouring from the jug anyway. I've never had a problem using spray bottles or anything doing this. You can always filter if you're concerned. I actually rarely use boric acid solution, unless I've experienced an adverse reaction in the past or looks to be troublesome. Accidentally using it with magnalium can ruin effects, so I'm not in the habit of using it regularly.

Last time I tried it with water and the saturated boric acid, it clogged up my atomizer and was a pain in the ass to unclog.

I did use it once with Magnalium, didn't notice anything bad about it.

Is it suggested to use Boric Acid with something like Zinc Granite stars?