APC Forum

decibel meter

gghff

Has any used a decibel meter for recording loudness of fireworks? There is some on ebay listed and wanted to know if they work well or which do you use - low cost. Gregory

I have a decibel meter which is on and monitored at work all the time. It is a seemingly generic looking device. I can't recall if there is even a name on it, I believe we found it online. I have taken it out when testing some devices just for interests sake. It picks it up well as it "remembers" peak volumes (one of the reasons we bought it). So we go back and identify each report. Etc

Another option is the use of a microphone and computer, you just need to calibrate the volume and you can do the same thing with a very cheap SPL meter if you can not find one that 'temembers'

All in all SPL measurement of pyrotechnic devices is a bit of a gimmick, I'm always using ear protection. However I do suppose it has it's place in safety for others to monitor reports to keep them under a specific SPL to protect their hearing. Thus prevent liability.

I value my hearing...

:)

Edited by jessoman

There is an app for that if you have a smart phone, only thing though it will only read but so high since the microphone on the phones only works within a certain range. I picked up one for free on the android market. I'd give that a shot before spending more ordering one.