APC Forum

kno3 purity

leedrill

please delete post admin

Edited by leedrill

Looks to be around 97.4%, i`d guess the tech suffix denotes it similar to or the same as GG, either way it`ll work fine.

doh, didnt notice the bag says its greenhouse grade ;)

Edited by Col

cheers col was hoping for above 98% or above but cant win everything in this country

may i ask how you came up with that figure i could not find anything that would give a simpleton like me the answer

A good ballmill can easily offset a few percent in purity, i wouldnt worry about it.

13.86% N as NO3 is pure, yours is 13.5% /13.86 (97.4%)

cheers col

I've always wondered about the accuracy of those NPK numbers. The vast majority of people are using this as fertilizer. Are they going to care if the bag says 13.5 vs 13.8 or 13.83? As long as my nitrate totally dissolves, and gives a violet flame test it's good to go in my opinion. BP is so forgiving in the formula, that a little impurity here or there isn't going to matter.

Most of the potassium nitrate we use is of similar purity. If one needs high purity KNO3, the best home solution to the problem is to dissolve, filter, recrystalize, dry and mill the material. I've done this a total of zero times in the past fifty years, and gotten by just fine (your mileage may vary).

WSM

cheers for your help guys i knew it would make alright bp being GG grade kno3 but you tend to question it when it the first time buying in bulk this way

• 2 weeks later...

I've got potassium nitrate that I haven't seen anywhere else. It Kemira growhow brand. Doesn't say of its greenhouse grade or agri grade.

Jessoman, does yours have the ever so slight tinge of yellow?

Hey DasKapital,

No it's pure white. What are the figures on your bag? As mine says:

N-13.5

Soluble potash K2O 46.2

Potassium,K 38.4

Which puts me at 97.4%

Which is from my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) good for every application.

Wow, nice one Col! According to that msds, it looks pretty good.

Ill try and grab a quick photo when I can and hopefully the very slight colour will show. It's like a slight off white/yellow. But barely noticeable.

Nice find DasKapital! Pm me which store you got it in (if it's a chain)

Can anyone comment on wether it's worth the effort purifying my Haifa, when compared to my pure kno3 I don't notice a difference.

Edited by jessoman