APC Forum

Potassium Oxalate

californiapyro

Hi,

I was wondering if potassium oxalate could be subbed in for sodium oxalate in a variety of formulations, such as glitters. I'm aware that it may change the color, but also should be less hygroscopic. Any glaring reasons this shouldn't be done?

-Hunter

Hi,

I was wondering if potassium oxalate could be subbed in for sodium oxalate in a variety of formulations, such as glitters. I'm aware that it may change the color, but also should be less hygroscopic. Any glaring reasons this shouldn't be done?

-Hunter

Hmmm, K2C2O4!

Check the pH of it. If it's neutral, it should work and I'd expect it to make a white glitter. If the pH is high, I'd expect the glitter to heat up (aluminum breaks down in an alkaline environment) when wetted (possibly a dangerous situation). It might be an interesting component of a strobe composition.

Let us know what you find out...

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I've often thought the same thing. There are some wonderful effects that only seem to work just right with sodium oxalate that I'd love to make white with potassium oxalate. The tremalon composition provided by Mike Swisher comes to mind particularly. I think it was actually developed by Jerry Taylor. I can tell you that potassium oxalate is going to be basic. Sodium oxalate is basic, so potassium oxalate is going to be even more basic yet.

I haven't played with the values, but I suspect you could wet the solution with boric acid soln and avoid any sort of adverse reactions. This works for anything made of sodium bicarbonate or sodium oxalate. Boric acid isn't a conventional acid, and is compatible with many basic compounds used in pyro.

Just one thought about channging the colour: The human eye is much more receptive to yellow flashes than for potassium's violet. The flashes are likely to appear brighter with sodium.

Alright, thanks for the info guys! I'll see what I find out with this stuff.

-Hunter