APC Forum

Dead blow mallets

Bobosan

Wondering what weight is best for ramming rockets and at what size BP only rocket should you start using a press?

Any downside to using a shot filled dead blow versus a rawhide mallet?

Edited by Bobosan

2 lb mallet will serve you well. I've never tried to ram anything larger than a 3/4" rocket, but I remember seeing a guy at PGI ramming bigger ones. I much prefer to press all motors, you get better consistency and compaction with a press.

I have only used a rawhide mallet myself. We did a group rocket ramming session last year at a club event and a few guys had shot filled deadblow hammers. As long as your mallet is non-sparking and does not bounce like a rubber mallet, I think you'll be okay.

Thanks for the info nater. Been looking at the Husky 27 oz dead blow and wondered how the plastic coating might hold up against the tooling. It's got a lifetime warranty exchange so if it splits or peels I'll just get another new one for free.

I have been using a 16 oz rawhide mallet augmented by another 8 oz of shot attached to one end. Kind of a crude setup and the one face is getting pretty banged up

I would be worried about the plastic face splitting, but they're much cheaper than rawhide mallets. My rawhide mallet is a little chewed up, but that was from trying to pound my tent stakes into the dirt at the Laporte PGI campground and not from my tooling. When I decide to replace it, I'll probably get a split-head hammer with replaceable faces. http://www.mcmaster.com/#split-head-hammers/=p8q0w4 . I forget who had one at a build event, but it was nice to use. If you go with the plastic dead blow hammer, let us know how it works.

Ramming anything over 3lb rockets can be a bit of a work out. Even 3lb ones can be a bit much after you do a few.

Ramming anything over 3lb rockets can be a bit of a work out. Even 3lb ones can be a bit much after you do a few.

Yeah, I have this imagined ram to press crossover point at 1lb, maybe a 2lb depending on my results. Been having a ball experimenting with different 4 and 8 ouncer BP loads but the current mallet has seen better days.

i have the bright orange one from harbor freight and it doesn't take very long for it to wear out. They keep replacing it, since it has a lifetime warranty... but it's not ideal. The face gets pretty chewed up, and I've had one split all the way down the side too.

I start getting too many failures on 1 lb rockets to be acceptable when ramming them. Smaller rockets seem to work fine though. Maybe with small increments they would work better, but I shoot for 1/2 ID increments with about 10 whacks per and it seems about a quarter of them blow. And a 1 lb BP rocket CATOing is a lot louder than you would think.

I ram nearly all of my BP motors up to 3lb, and they perform very well. They are not weak either, my 1lb motors easily lift 4" cylinders.

That 27oz mallet may be a bit light for 1lb motors. I like to use a 2.5lb rubber dead blow mallet for 1lb'ers and a 4lb rubber dead blow for 3lb motors. Psyco isn't kidding, ramming 3lb motors is quite a shoulder workout. HB has cheap rubber dead blow mallets, and will exchange them in store. I have used them before and they lasted me a while, but smaller tooling will tear them up more quickly. When ramming 4oz motors I used to cover the end of the mallet in an old bike innertube to save the face of the mallet. Many places like Lowes or Home Depot will have you go through the manufacturer for warranty exchanges after their standard return limit.

If you want to spend the money, Split-head mallets like Nate posted are awesome.

WB

Edited by WonderBoy

Thanks WB. I picked up the 27 oz dead blow and have been using it with wood rammers on 8 oz tubes. The faces show scoring but has not broke through the covering........yet. I'll try your method to protect it better when I start using aluminum rammers. Husky is a HD branded tool and they replace in-store or upgrade if not in stock.

Its been a long time since I rammed a one pounder or larger but when I did, I put a slight crown on the rammer ends and used some neverdull to brighten the metal up some. This helped keep the hammer face in good shape a lot longer, four to five times longer in fact.

I have only felt comfortable ramming 1/2" or smaller rockets and even pressed them in an arbor press rather than smack them with a hammer.

• Like 1

Going to try that tip out, Dag. Thanks!

Just breaking the sharp top edge of the rammer with a fine file would surely help.

Another thing to keep an eye on in what sort of base you're using to ram on. If it has any bounce to it, your ramming efficiency will be reduced. Stumps or large chunks of tree trunk seem to work well. Some people make essentially concrete cylinders to ram on as well. From what I've been told, the same attributes that make good hammers also make good ramming bases. You want it heavy, no bounce, and to absorb vibration.

• Like 1

Haven't had any problems with consolidation...yet. Been using solid patio stones laid on the ground and so far, no CATO's due to ramming. I'm reluctant to use wood platforms only because I think there is still enough give in the wood to prevent consistent ramming. The concrete pillar/cylinder idea would help get me off ground level at least.

• 2 months later...

I am now looking for one of these to i am unsure what size to get. I was at home depot today and they had a 27 oz and 46 oz i think it was, what size would be better to get?

sorry not sure if this is off topic or not.

I'm happy with the 27oz one for the 2 and 4oz motors but going to use the larger one for 1lb's. Finding a good solid ramming surface along with accurate charge increments and consistent blows will keep CATO's minimal.

Test them out and get a feel for each weight before you buy. Can always take the lighter one back and upgrade.