APC Forum

Kraft Paper Can Shells

LambentPyro

When making the can by rolling the Kraft paper on the former, what type of Kraft paper is recommended? I have Kraft Paper, but it's thin crap from Home Depot. If you can provide a link to where I can buy it, that'd be great.

Thanks.

70lb virgin kraft is the best. Getting in on a group buy with someone who knows what to look for is best. Not all paper is created equally. All virgin paper is not even created equally. Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't off hand know of any online retailers that have high quality virgin kraft.

I've used the stuff on rolls from places like Uline (full rolls) or even Office Max/Staples (30-60ft rolls), etc. They're all recycled, but it works okay. The thing you want to look for is general uniform color, and not a lot of darker pieces. If it turns out to be garbage, just use it to line your work area.

I bought my rolls from Berlau Paper House, shipping was not cheap but they were quick. The paper is not the best and I suspect it is not 100% virgin fibers. However it is servicable. It is workable when wet and does not tear unless you handle it real rough. It is much stronger than 100% recycled kraft at least.

So I just picked up a 140' roll from Home Depot, it's pretty light in color and is much thicker than what I had.

It's recycled, dammit, going to return it.

Edited by LambentPyrotechnics

I take the time to type a post message and then it just sits there "saving post" for minutes.

But I can re-edit a message and it saves that in a second.

What I am getting at, it gets old trying to post a reply with information and it does not post.'

If you have a box company in your area they go thru rolls and rolls of kraft paper.

They purchase truck loads at a time, and remove the rolls off the machines before they run out.

These end rolls have quite a bit of material left on them.

They normally just grind these up and sell them to a recycler.

If you can find someone that works for one of these companies they can usually get you "end" rolls.

I tried to post this about four times today with no luck.

Edited by mikeee

I take the time to type a post message and then it just sits there "saving post" for minutes.

But I can re-edit a message and it saves that in a second.

Not sure what you're getting at.