APC Forum

Buying a ball mill in australia, help

Throwingbrick

Hey I live in sydney australia and I want to make my own blackpowder, have all the ingredients and used a mortar n pestel to grind some small ammounts to test ( not large as i know the risk of ignition) anyway does anyone know if i can get a rock tumbler/ball mill and where? thanks There are ones for $110 for a single cyl but I want a more budget one. thanks

If you want a budget ball mill, as well as a more effective one if correctly made, your best bet is to make one yourself. The main hobby mills that are sold in Australia are Lortone (quite expensive) if you want one locally. Thumler tumblers are around and about, but Lortone have the dominant market here. You can also look secondhand as well, such as gumtree as sometimes prospectors and mineral hobbyists have a used one up rather cheap. Shipping from overseas almost negates the savings, and you're in a tough situation if it's faulty. I'm sure you did some research anyway since you found one for $110.

But the bottom line is you're going to pay more money buying one than if you were to make one. Plus, the RPM is always lower on rock tumblers and the motors aren't as well isolated from the barrels. Both can be fixed, but that's more time you need to put into it that could be otherwise spent making one. You need to find a motor. I'd advise something with decent HP, like maybe 1/4 depending on the size of the tumbler. Aussiesapphire sells protected motors, but for more than your budget. Otherwise you can salvage one, or do some hunting. I'll let you do some research on building ball mills if you head that way.

There are other suppliers like KB Supplies, but they're asking for a lot more than what you're willing to spend. Frankly, there aren't many options for budget ball mills in Aus. My only advice is not to take short-cuts, and to have a ball mill that is reliable. Always located away from property and people.

• Like 1

I agree, do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again later. Either spend a lot of money or build one yourself.

If you want to build one, the motor is probably going to be the most expensive part, if you can afford it a 1/4 HP TEFC is the way to go but if you are on a strict budget check out machinery auctions. Broken machines are cheap and you don't care if the equipment is stuffed as long as the motor is good. A drill press with a heap of slop in the quill wouldn't go for much but it would get you a motor and a set of adjustable pulleys.

My mill was built from parts collected from around the place, it cost me about $60 and will easily turn a 20kg jar.