APC Forum

3 lb stinger

leedrill

hi all ive just made my first stinger the other day and am looking for some info. i think i have some good combos in mind for nice stingers and they are a quick build so am looking to fix the only issue {which really didnt bother me till i found the spent tube

so i ran the hottest bp i make {with 5% dex cause i find it consolidates so well when in meal form with the dex and is still very fast } the first and only one ive made so far burnt out the vent quite a bit it spooled up so quick it sounded like a kick ass hummer and in a split second it was about 100m + high i couldnt even track the lift off with my eyes so i figure i can tone down the bp a bit the nozzle held up fine maybe eroded 0.2mm in total but the vent hole opened up to about 7mm which all i want to know

is that normal even with nept tubes {i cant find any NA silicate cheaply and i figure unless applying to the inside of the tube it wont help all that much

so could somebody shed some light on their experiences with the 3lb version of these kick ass little things

Side note here - you can make sodium silicate with water, lye and silica gel beads (dessicant / crystal cat litter)

Heat 10 ml (g) of water and make a solution with 8g of lye. Once the lye is fully dissolved add a total of 6g of crushed silica gel beads.

http://science.perthuniversity.org/make-sodium-silicate/

It has been a while since I have made any stingers, but I used to pre-drill the vent hole and coat it with a few drops of super glue.

WB

hmm i can see that helping a bit and have thought about pre-drilling them will make it much easier to have the hole coated in something but im really wondering if anyone can tell me from their experience how much burn out they where getting on their vent hole on the 3lb variety with or without treatment of some kind