APC Forum

Does Whistlemix deteriorate during storage?

dangerousamateur

Hi guys,

can whistlemix be stored indefinitely or is there some kind of decomposition or chemical reaction betwen the ingredients?

I found some commercial whistles my father bought over 10 or even 15 years ago and they seem to be fine.

Some formulations absorb water from the air and thus 'degrade', in performance if not chemically.

Potassium salt fuels and a good wax/oil/petroleum jelly content help lengthen the shelf life up to decades, as you have experienced.

If you are storing the fuel make sure you keep it sealed and maybe throw a dessicant bag in the container.

If you are storing motors it helps to seal them in plastic.

When I press up 20 or 30 motors I will put them in a heavy ziplock baggie and they are good for a month or two

with no problems.

I have seen some pyro's seal each motor with plastic wrap to keep the humidity from the fuel grain.

But this is for fuel grains that have not been treated with oil/vaseline etc.

In my experience it seems that whistle grows more powerful after being stored for a length of time., Not sure if it is a intimacy of the chems overtime integrating , but older whistle seems to have more kick to it. Now this is out of a motor , and not a pressed motor where cracks or other probs could form and cause a cato. This experience is in just the unpressed fuels alone .