APC Forum

3 Inch canisters

Pretty green flame

Some stuff I fired yesterday, 3 inch canister shells. granulated BP for the burst + 4grams of 7/3 flash for the booster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr4zhWtTVEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4_RWW_3h68

The Magnalium and Sb2S3 glitter was a real disappointment. Maybe it was my Magnalium, not sure though, 63 microns should be plenty big for glitters. Need to try some bicarb based glitters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcG8sRLAWGY

Edited by Pretty green flame

That flash booster sure is going it's job! I'd cut back a bit myself, but that's me.

Win20 is a good glitter, I really like it myself.

That flash booster sure is going it's job! I'd cut back a bit myself, but that's me.

Win20 is a good glitter, I really like it myself.

Indeed, I'll probably switch to a Perc/Nitrate flash mix for boosting shells, 7/3 does seem a bit overkill, especially at 4 grams. Though the symmetry it gives, it's beautiful.

I'll give the winokur comps a shot, this particular formula was from passfire, a japanese glitter formula. Looked good on the ground, was a disappointment in the air :(

Nice symmetry on these cans. Good Job!

I would also recommend to try W19 or W20.

Glitter stars were pumped, cut or rolled?

Nice symmetry on these cans. Good Job!

I would also recommend to try W19 or W20.

Glitter stars were pumped, cut or rolled?

Glitter stars were pumped, 15mm. Green stars were rolled 6mm +/- 1mm

pretty green flame: I liked the green to glitter. The 7/3 sure produced a lot of thump, perhaps dial back a bit. Nice little shells though...

Glitters are also giving me headaches I never seem to be able to produce an effective glitter. I always take care to use only the minimum amount of water, but they never seem to work out for me, so I understand your frustration.

Well done on the cans, keep it up, and thanks for sharing.

best

fred

Edited by fredhappy

Maybe you overwetted glitter, wich caused this problem?

I doubt it, 8% water, probably just a bad formula to be honest, or the wrong Mg/Al granulation. Though if you check right after the burst in the 3rd clip you can actually see the glitter effect, it just seems to die down after the stars get further from the break point, I have no idea why.

For relevance, if anyone wants to try it

"Japanese" Glitter

KNO3 - 50%

Magnalium - 14%

Sulfur - 12%

Charcoal - 10 %

Sb2S3 - 10%

Dex - 4%

Honestly, i've had the best luck with bicarb/aluminium glitters, D1, N1 and a personal formula which is waaaay too bicarb heavy (but it's meant to be this way). Will definitly give W20 and W19 a try. Haven't tried oxalate glitters yet, but I will in the near future as I have some Na-oxalate on the way and i've hear great things about these glitters.

Regarding the flash, i'll go with a bit weaker formulation keeping the ammount the same. The thump was pretty satisfying yes, quite similar to some 2" and 3" italian canisters i've had the pleasure to fire ^_^

PGF,

Nice shells! I liked the combo of the green with glitter.

As others have said, they were broken a bit hard for my taste. This can also be a problem when making multibreaks, such a hard burst can damage the next break. A booster to look into might be the KNO3-KClO4 booster in the Spanish PDF. I prefer "medium" boosters like that over hot ones like 7:3 or slow boosters like 2:1:1.

WB

WonderBoy, indeed, the Apertura formulation from the spanish PDF was exactly what I had in mind. I'll have to run some tests with this booster.

More people,more taste.. I like the hard break, so these breaks was perfect for my taste :) If i want symmetric and hard break, i also use 4g 7/3 in this caliber.

• 3 weeks later...

The third one still came out really nice! I'm thinking they could've shattered, use a little less booster. 3 grams for a 3". 1 gram per inch as I've heard.

I personally don't use flash for booster, but I know it does produce some wild results when you get it down.

I agree with WonderBoy and PrettyGreenFlames with the use of medium boosters. I've been using something pretty similar to the apertura formula primarily for boosting cylinder shells for a number of years. (those spanish formulas aren't as new or contemporary as you think ;) ) You can modify the perchlorate to nitrate ratio to modify the power. More perchlorate is more powerful.

The one I've settled on is as follows. I just coat the BP granules and let it go.

Potassium Nitrate - 50

Potassium Perchlorate - 20

American Dark - 30

The aluminum I use is actually Eckhart 10890, but most things are fine. Originally it called for Oberon 809. American dark is somewhere in between bright flake and blackhead aluminums. It's about the same mesh as bright flake, but manufactured like dark flake.