APC Forum

4 Stage 1/4" Rocket 1st Attempt

Juiceh

I built this rocket about a year ago and I just got around to test it.

I used 1/4" endburner tooling made by Steve Majdali pictured below circled in red:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6348/vl1h.jpg

I used 2.5" Nept tubes cut in half for 1.25" lengths. I used the fastest whistle I could make. 76/23 sali with 2.5 vaseline and .5% copper oxychloride catalyst milled into the perc. Its scary fast stuff.

I used an arbor press to press the motors at 10,000psi on the grain. Each motor is identical. The fast whistle is pressed until 2 increments over the spindle.

To ignite the next motor I used some rice hull BP waste, which are granular fines and coated slivers of rice hulls. I hand pressed the granular fines in place filling up the remaining tube space and took one of the slivers and inserted it into the core of the motor to be placed on top of it. Placed that next motor on top and then wrapped one turn of masking tape to keep the motors together. I did this until I had a stack of 4 motors. The top motor did not get packed with the loose BP grains, the empty tube space was filled with flash and it got a 7/8" shell glued on top filled with flash.

I used 2 bamboo skewers glued & taped end to end for length. It was attached to the final motor.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg5R7FiVy-M

Not bad eh?!

I just got my test stand today. I can't wait to put one of these shorty motors on it to see how much power these little bastards have!!

I have been trying to find a picture of the rocket before launch, I think I took one a long time ago so I didn't take one before I shot it today, because I figured I would find this picture easily. I think its on my old phone, so i need to find that and get the pic off of it.

I think my next multi stage rocket will have a nozzled whistle fueled end burner for the top stage. I want it to go really high!!

Edited by Mumbles

Hehe nice :D

Multi stage rockets are allready on my to do list for next year ^_^

Thanks for sharing this video

Greets

VP

Damn, those little things seem to have a lot of oomp. Very nice engine design, I like the multiple stages a lot.

keep it up, thanks for sharing,

best

fred

Sounds like a tedious build. Very nice work!

That was pretty bad ass! You should throw in a pinch of Ti on the next one so you can really see the stages take off.

Insane. Absolutely love it! Very simple and effective! Edited by ollie1016
  • Like 1

Can I ask what the hollow metal tubes are for? They don't look like the paper tubes would fit inside them as a reinforcement sleeve.

The brass sleeves are the tube supports. They fit the NEPT tubes pretty well, some are a bit harder to fit into the support and some drop right in. There is a little variance in the NEPT tubes OD.

I may add a bit of Ti to the next rocket stages. I was thinking about leaving the Ti out of the booster motors and using the Ti in the final nozzled whistle endburner stage. So the rocket would ascend sorta stealthily and then become visible for the final long burn when it's way up there.