APC Forum

Chrome media + Plastic Jar = Static Shock

svt84

Thought I might try ball milling black powder. Acquired 100 1/2" chrome steel balls (way too few) and a new

"white high density polyethylene plastic wide mouth packer", (too small diameter, too long).

It might not surprise the pros around here but the balls, swirled around inside the plastic bottle generates

a reproducable spark. (Indoors, dry). No, I was NOT planning to mill BP indoors.

Is this combination/result "normal"?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

Forget the steel balls and get lead or ceramic for BP milling.

Position your mill as far away as possible from people, domestic animals and structures and start and stop it remotely with the extension cord plug at the power outlet.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes I wonder whether inhaling smoke&dust from BP that's been ground with soft lead has left me brain damaged. :(

Surely using steel media for non-explosive charcoal + sulphur, then brass media for explosive mixtures is best?

Edited by TheExplosionist

Surely using steel media for non-explosive charcoal + sulphur, then brass media for explosive mixtures is best?

That would work if the only media type available but inserts an extra step and time into the milling process. It also introduces a point of possible error.

Not to mention IF the steel media were to chip, that would introduce sparking material into the step where you are milling the B.P.

Best just to keep steel away from the whole process, IMHO.