APC Forum

Stinger nozzle problem

gltruett

I recently bought a set of Stinger tooling in the one pound version from Rich Wolter. For my first attempts I used a straight 75/15/10 ball milled meal with excellent results. I was really enjoying these little things but they were messy. I made a batch of fuel with an extra 5% Dextrin, wet with water and alcohol and put it through some window screen. Now I don't have dust making a mess but at launch all my new motors are chuffing and blowing the nozzle out of the motor. They still fly but I'm not getting the nice tail or anywhere near the altitude I was getting with non granulated fuel. I have double checked everything and can't find any obvious flaws. I hate to go back to the dusty fuel, anyone have any ideas? Thanks, GT

May have to ram the fuel a bit harder using dextrin. Back off on the dextrin amount to say, 1%, and try again.

Mix 2% mineral oil with your powder, you dont need a solvent but it takes a little bit before the oil gets worked in the powder, I just put on a glove and work it in with my hand, packs very well and no dust plus the powder is ready to use right after the mixing. It will slow the powder down a little but still works fine.